Mattawoman 03/18 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman 03/18 ?

Anyone heading out this weekend? Looking for some early season blue cats for the dinner table. As of now, Saturday might be raining (80% chance) but both days look good from a fishing standpoint. Right now I'm leaning towards a Sunday late morning start. Its a 2hr haul for me and I'm not much of a get up at 5am on the weekend kind of guy. Ill probably try to catch some bluegills for bait on Saturday.

Let me know if anyone is planning on being out.

Disclaimer: This will only be my second time there so I have next to no knowledge to offer up on the area. I'm going to have to put my faith in Navionics and my fish finder.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Check the reports, there was a sewage spill 2 weeks ago. About 15,000 gallons worth.
    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I was considering an exploratory trip down Sunday to see if stripers are around St. George’s Bar near the mouth of St. Mary’s River...all C&R with barbless hooks...would be a 10:30 or so launch
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
        Check the reports, there was a sewage spill 2 weeks ago. About 15,000 gallons worth.
        I fished there Tuesday and caught 2 decent-sized blues. The wind and tide were absolutely awful, but all seemed well in terms of the presence of fish as related to the sewage spill. For the record I hooked zero floaters haha
        Matt
        Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
        2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
        10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          I was considering an exploratory trip down Sunday to see if stripers are around St. George’s Bar near the mouth of St. Mary’s River...all C&R with barbless hooks...would be a 10:30 or so launch
          My in-laws are fish-addicts and have been requesting fresh fish lately so I'll probably stick with a place there's a good chance I can bring some home. Once things gets warmer, I'd love to head further south. I've been wanting to try out the St. Mary's area in warmer months.

There's also that that big open area downstream of Slavin's launch where I want to do some run-time testing on the torqeedo.
          Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I have fished the area and most of Mattawoman Creek even above the Rt. 225 bridge...getting a mile or so up creek requires a paddle yak...The white perch are in the rivers and creeks- Benedict area commercial fisherman are hauling in nice catches of white perch...still have a few yellow perch but they have spawned out...mud shad are thick as are carp...

Comment

Looks like nature is plotting against me again. Woke up with a heckuva head cold/sinus infection so I doubt I’ll make it out tomorrow. Apologies if anyone was planning on meeting up and good luck to anyone still heading out tomorrow.
              Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Same here...sinus kicking like a mule...the pollen is from cedars and evergreens- a real potent mess this early in the season...just think how bad it will be with the oak and hardwood tree pollen later in the spring when your car looks green...

Comment

I am heading out tomorrow, but from land and not my kayak for a few hours to see if I can catch a good Blue Cat. We will see.
                  MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                  2016 Hobie Outback LE
                  Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Is anyone thinking about going down Sunday morning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am, thinking of sometime around 730-8. PM me if your interested. They are calling for 10 mph winds with gust up to 20, but that's on the Potomac. Mattawoman is sheltered some.
                      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I finally made it out Sunday afternoon with the kid. Lots of fish on the finder but few takers. Came home with one good eating size blue cat.
                        Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
                          I finally made it out Sunday afternoon with the kid. Lots of fish on the finder but few takers. Came home with one good eating size blue cat.
                          Was that you heading out with the family, as Matt and I were coming in? Matt (yakman) was the one cleaning fish and I was the one in the red truck (I'm glad to have a fillet table at home with a hose haha). My name's Pat

Comment

That was us. We never really went out of sight from the launch so I could be close enough to drop my kid off so he could retreat to the car to warm up every once in a while.

I'm Nelson. The kid who talked your ear off was Eli.
                            Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Although there are some 'sweet spots' hidden in mattawoman, i've pulled some monster SH within eyesight of the launch area mid-summer. you don't need to travel far
                              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
                              X