Southern Maryland catch and release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Maryland catch and release

Are there any local kayakers who fish catch and release for big strippers in southern Maryland? I would be interested getting together if anyone is fishing big dogs locally.

There are some of us down here in Southern Maryland- SMOG, Kevin Fry and Bill, Tall Timbers...we are not always after the spring trophy season fishing because it is so spotty and unreliable, but...I get out quite a bit- mostly during the week if the weather will ever cooperate- small craft warnings are in effect until Saturday morning, so...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Kitchenpass1 View Post
      Are there any local kayakers who fish catch and release for big strippers.........
      Autocorrect always manages to get a smile out of me with that one....
      "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
      Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I'm always available if/when we are planning a trip for those XL strippers
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Where are you fishing this time of year? Where would you put in? PLO might be the closest place to get to deep water. Water temp is pretty cold still.

Comment

You can put in at Piney Point or Jacks launch at the end of St George’s Island to get to the deep edge in the Potomac. You can also try jigging the gas dock which has 40+’ of water along it. Some of us will also be trying the St Georges Island bar to see if some come up shallower during their trip up the river. Just remember to be barbless.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Southern Maryland catch and release

I launched from Jack’s launch at the end of St. George’s Island today, March 31st at 11:15 am to NNE 7 winds...beautiful day on the water...got out with a narrow 2 hour window between winds according to WindFinder...The commercial fishermen have established a pound net extending from the end of the rock jetty all the way out to the edge of the 19 FOW channel...so I made the turn towards Smith Creek and Kitty’s Point, about 3 miles or so...my side imaging sonar was drawing blanks- bottom was devoid of fish- made a quick venture onto the St. George’s Bar with no results- pulling an XR14 bunker XR Rap and a 3/4 oz. 6/0 jighead with a 6 inch Zman chartreuse swimbait...headed across the mouth of St. Mary’s River to Smith Creek finally saw a couple of large fish marks but no takers...unfortunately my window of opportunity was closing as the wind shifted to SSE and picked up as the incoming tide was also running...the white caps and chop made for a sloppy crossing back to the launch but still a great day on the water...I really didn’t expect much so I wasn’t disappointed- all the new accessories I have added to the boat were tested so it was a good day on the water- I only saw one boat and that was the guys working the pound net...

IMG_3726.JPG
              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-31-2018, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Man, that’s a lot of water you covered. Wish you got at least a bite for the effort. At least you got out, wind forecast for the rest of this week doesn’t look favorable.
                Mike
                Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I paid for it, Mike...leg cramps hit me hard before I got to Leonardtown...hard to drive a stick shift pickup with a Charlie horse...pulled over at gas station in Callaway and got Gatorade...stretched and massaged the knots...

Comment

Working...
                  X