Severn River Catfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn River Catfish

After catching tons of catfish last night, I began to wonder if there are any catfish in the severn. I fish from Sherwood forest but have the ability to kayak or powerboat elsewhere. Any ideas or thoughts would help, thanks. I have never fished for catfish in the severn river, just lakes and ponds in my local area.
    Last edited by CarsonNash; 04-03-2018, 08:48 PM.
    Annapolis
    2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
    Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

I haven’t exactly heard of them in the Severn but I know people catch them near ft Smallwood on the patapsco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've caught good sized channel cats in the magothy, so I'm sure they're in the Severn too. I imagine you just want to be selective about your baits since white perch, yellow perch, and even the occasional rockfish might come in for a nibble. If you fish with raw chicken breast, chicken livers, or gizzard shad, I would think that might only attract catfish.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I caught these two channel cats on the same outing with the same lure in Weems Creek last September 21 while fishing for white perch:

A.jpg B.jpg

My 1/8 oz, perch jig spinner looked like this when I started:

F.jpg

And this after the second channel cat:

G.jpg

They are the only two channel cats I have ever caught in the Severn or its creeks. It's very odd that they occurred on the same outing. I caught both in the back end of the creek but far apart from each other.

There are probably many present.

Cut bait anglers may catch more.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Was fishing on the west side of the Naval Academy bridge on July 13 and caught a catfish on a 1/8 jig with a white twister tail.
          2017-07-13 07.14.19.jpg, 2017-07-13 07.19.24.jpg

It was caught in the shaded area provided by the bridge. Later I pulled in a very sick Rockfish on the same lure. No, I didn’t touch the rock.

2017-07-13 06.41.51.jpg
          John Rentch
          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

My fiance caught an 18" white catfish in the upper end of one of the Severn creeks last fall on a trolled swim shad. It was definitely a surprise, but I bet you could catch them with cut bait.
            Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

I have caught many blue and channel catfish on the original floating Rapala minnow...casting and retrieving it for bass and snakeheads...it just stops like you foul hooked a log, then heads away at a leisurely pace pulling drag...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                I have caught many blue and channel catfish on the original floating Rapala minnow...casting and retrieving it for bass and snakeheads...it just stops like you foul hooked a log, then heads away at a leisurely pace pulling drag...
                Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
                My fiance caught an 18" white catfish in the upper end of one of the Severn creeks last fall on a trolled swim shad. It was definitely a surprise, but I bet you could catch them with cut bait.
                Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
                Was fishing on the west side of the Naval Academy bridge on July 13 and caught a catfish on a 1/8 jig with a white twister tail.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]23184[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]23185[/ATTACH]

It was caught in the shaded area provided by the bridge. Later I pulled in a very sick Rockfish on the same lure. No, I didn’t touch the rock.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23186[/ATTACH]
                Thanks for the help.
                Annapolis
                2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
                  Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]23184[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]23185[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23186[/ATTACH]
                  Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  I caught these two channel cats on the same outing with the same lure in Weems Creek last September 21 while fishing for white perch:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23179[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]23180[/ATTACH]

My 1/8 oz, perch jig spinner looked like this when I started:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23181[/ATTACH]

And this after the second channel cat:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23182[/ATTACH]

They are the only two channel cats I have ever caught in the Severn or its creeks. It's very odd that they occurred on the same outing. I caught both in the back end of the creek but far apart from each other.

There are probably many present.

Cut bait anglers may catch more.
                  Thank you. I am going to test out a bottom rig with cut-bait.
                  Annapolis
                  2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110

Comment

I've caught some lunker catfish in the Magothy under/around docks in the relative shallows.
                    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I fish often in the Severn and have caught only one catfish in the river in 17 years. Admittedly, I typically fish artificial lures and light tackle, not with cut bait. I suspect there are some catfish in the river each year, but they may be scarce enough that it can be tough to target them.

This time of year, there may be stripers in the section of the river near Sherwood Forest. The DNR is in the process of modifying rules for bait fishing for stripers. Even if you are not actively targeting stripers, you should be aware of those rules. I do not know the details -- you can do that homework.

During the summer, you may find spot, croakers, white perch, and other assorted bottom fish that will bite cut bait.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                        I fish often in the Severn and have caught only one catfish in the river in 17 years. Admittedly, I typically fish artificial lures and light tackle, not with cut bait. I suspect there are some catfish in the river each year, but they may be scarce enough that it can be tough to target them.

This time of year, there may be stripers in the section of the river near Sherwood Forest. The DNR is in the process of modifying rules for bait fishing for stripers. Even if you are not actively targeting stripers, you should be aware of those rules. I do not know the details -- you can do that homework.

During the summer, you may find spot, croakers, white perch, and other assorted bottom fish that will bite cut bait.
                        In the email I received, they were looking at making the use of circle hooks mandatory when live lining bait for stripers. IIRC, if the distance from point to shank was less than 1/2", then J hooks were acceptable.
                        2015 Hobie PA14
                        2000 Hobie Mirage Classic with rod holders
                        2006 Triton T/S 17

Comment

Last summer I caught a bunch of cats and cow-noses at Jones Green, which is on the Severn.

Comment

Working...
                          X