Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on Where to Head for the Next Two Weeks

Hello All,
    New poster here. I've been stationed in MD for 10 years, but my fishing has been limited, for the most part, to freshwater in MD. I recently traded into a Hobie PA14 and took some leave for 11 days starting this Sunday. If anyone has any suggestions on places to try, I'd love to hear them. I have gear for most species. I live on the Severn(just moved here a few months ago) but I'm willing to travel all over the state. If anyone is looking for someone to go out with, I'm definitely not opposed to that.
    Thank you in advance,
    Jake
    2015 Hobie PA14
    2000 Hobie Mirage Classic with rod holders
    2006 Triton T/S 17

Originally posted by WHBD View Post
    Hello All,
    New poster here. I've been stationed in MD for 10 years, but my fishing has been limited, for the most part, to freshwater in MD. I recently traded into a Hobie PA14 and took some leave for 11 days starting this Sunday. If anyone has any suggestions on places to try, I'd love to hear them. I have gear for most species. I live on the Severn(just moved here a few months ago) but I'm willing to travel all over the state. If anyone is looking for someone to go out with, I'm definitely not opposed to that.
    Thank you in advance,
    Jake
    The big rockfish and rockfish in general will start picking up here over the next few weeks. Try the local rivers, the Severn is good, patapsco river out of ft Smallwood just watch the wind report there.
    If you want to try blue catfish head down to the Potomac with some bait to soak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looking at the next eight to ten days on the Weather Channel makes me very, very sad...talking about another snow event after the one forecast for Saturday...GRRRRR!! These cut-off weather patterns are the definition of climate change...extreme weather...the fifth Nor-Easter mid next week!! Yikes...I think what will happen is there will be no spring at all- we will go from winter time one week straight into summer...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
        Looking at the next eight to ten days on the Weather Channel makes me very, very sad...talking about another snow event after the one forecast for Saturday...GRRRRR!! These cut-off weather patterns are the definition of climate change...extreme weather...the fifth Nor-Easter mid next week!! Yikes...I think what will happen is there will be no spring at all- we will go from winter time one week straight into summer...
        Yea definitely feels like a weather dam is forming that will cause a big green flood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Definitely keep an eye on wind/weather in general and hit the Severn or Patapsco for rockfish in coming weeks when it's good. As mentioned above, the blue catfish bite in the Potomac is pretty consistent and can be enjoyable from shore or an anchored yak. If you're looking at lakes and ponds, Little Seneca Lake in Boyds, MD is a really gorgeous body of water with all sorts of bass/panfish action, and the various eastern shore ponds can be a good bet for bass/pickerel/panfish. Some are longer drives than others, but being up before the sun and on the road while everyone is still sleeping is one of my favorite parts of fishing. Good luck!
          Matt
          Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
          2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
          10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Originally posted by YakMan1731 View Post
            Little Seneca Lake in Boyds, MD is a really gorgeous body of water with all sorts of bass/panfish action....
            I really need someone to teach me how to fish that lake. I've tried it and have only managed some dink crappie and random panfish.

WHBD, you are in a prime location to go just about anywhere in Maryland. Like others have said, even when other species aren't biting, you can usually count on some blue cats for some pullage. The crappie bite should be about to take off in the Eastern shore ponds, stripers should be more plentiful in the bay (just check the maps for areas that aren't closed to them right now). The Potomac is a little high right now above DC, but the tidal portion should be fine.

Just check your weather and be safe!
            "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
            Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

This next week forecase weather looks on the bad side. No fish is worth risking your life, be safe.
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                This next week forecase weather looks on the bad side. No fish is worth risking your life, be safe.
                Agreed. I've been watching the forecast waver all week and when I woke up this morning I finally had to accept it won't be a big water kayaking kind of weekend. Bring on the shore fishing and pond hopping!
                Matt

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
                  I really need someone to teach me how to fish that lake. I've tried it and have only managed some dink crappie and random panfish.
                  I tell ya what, that lake looks like every FLW Tour lake there is, but you're right- it is damned tricky. I have one hole where I've caught big bass 3 times and the rest of the lake has been incredibly inconsistent. Honestly though, it is such a nice paddle I rarely leave unhappy. I've hit it once this year already, broke my PB largemouth in 15 minutes and got zero bites for the next 5 hours. Classic...

If anyone figures it out, please let me know.
                  Matt

Comment

Thank you all for all the input. For right now, I'm thinking I'll try all of the above, wx/wind permitting. Since the Severn is right outside, I'll try to default to that and make a plan for the Potomac as well. I love catfishing, but I grew up with flatheads. Little Seneca sounds like a plan as well. I'll do more research on the Shore options.
                    Thanks again
                    Jake
                    2015 Hobie PA14
                    2006 Triton T/S 17

Comment

Since you're in Crownsville, I would launch out of Smith's marina whenever it opens. It's $10 to launch a kayak there, but it puts you into little round bay, which consistently holds good rockfish and white perch. I prefer that area to most others in the Fall, if I'm trying to limit out on 20-26" striper. Big white perch hang out by the shorelines, especially if there's woody cover in the water, and slow trolling small paddletails or in-line spinners will def all-but-guarantee you a few nice ones. I've also caught pickerel there but I've never really targeted them, they were just lucky catches on one fall afternoon.

Comment

And remember check the pre-season regulations, C&R with barbless until 4/21?
                        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                          Since you're in Crownsville, I would launch out of Smith's marina whenever it opens. It's $10 to launch a kayak there, but it puts you into little round bay, which consistently holds good rockfish and white perch. I prefer that area to most others in the Fall, if I'm trying to limit out on 20-26" striper. Big white perch hang out by the shorelines, especially if there's woody cover in the water, and slow trolling small paddletails or in-line spinners will def all-but-guarantee you a few nice ones. I've also caught pickerel there but I've never really targeted them, they were just lucky catches on one fall afternoon.
                          I'll give that a shot. I got all around Round Bay this morning, but it took awhile to get there. Plus side was I got a cpl nice fish before I'd gone 200 yards from my launch ramp by the house. I didn't measure them, but the biggest was wider than the deck of my PA14. Are those perch there this time of year? Or was that fall as well? What depth would you troll for stripers right now? I was reading in Alan Battista's book that they should be shallow, but I wasn't finding any shallow. Water temp was 49.5-50.5*.
                          2015 Hobie PA14
                          2006 Triton T/S 17

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                            And remember check the pre-season regulations, C&R with barbless until 4/21?
                            Yup, I'm tracking, TY.
                            2015 Hobie PA14
                            2006 Triton T/S 17

Comment

Originally posted by WHBD View Post
                              What depth would you troll for stripers right now?.
                              Unless you have the ability to hit deep channel edges down to 30-40', which in Round Bay would only be on the far eastern side where you enter the main Severn branch, everyone I've heard that's had any good days this year has gotten them shallow. I've gone twice and caught all fish in 10' or less, and looking at posts from Steve, who is shorecasting, and Alan, they're both having great success shallow. I think Alan has said it before, with the shallow fish, you probably wont mark the big girls, but you just have to trust that they're there. Good luck out there, Pat introduced me to Round Bay last fall and it is a really nice paddle.
                              Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X