Wind changed my plans, but I still got a new PB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind changed my plans, but I still got a new PB

So I was determined to fish Friday afternoon, after a 2 week hiatus. The high wind forecast meant that I had to pick a new spot to fish, as I was going to fish the flats, which would've been very taxing and even dangerous in my paddle yak. So, I went with a different river, and picked some familiar creeks that I've fished many times on the Severn. Fishing was very slow but I did find a great spot that I pulled a very strong 22" fish out of, and then 10 minutes later in the same spot, I pulled a new PB 32" rockfish, which put up a great fight on my cheapest rod/reel combo. The handle actually started to come loose during the fight and I was worried the reel was going to fall apart, but I kept my composure and fixed it, and was able to land the fish, take a few quick pictures, and release it. There were lots of powerboats just cruising into my spot, and that ruined the fishing after those 2 fish, but I didn't mind too much obviously. I then met up with WHBD a little later and we continued to fish the river but neither of us got any fish after that.

Overall I was very happy that I applied a little bit of knowledge to locating a spot that was sheltered from most of the wind, but would still hold fish (shallow water in theory should warm quicker in the afternoon, and hold fish coming in to feed), and was successful.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here is Pat's "MONSTAH":

Kudos man, i'm so jealous. We were our 7 hours on a 34 footer trolling 6 rods, not a single bite. The victory of the day was the beautiful 85* weather, the fresh squeezed orange crush buzz, and catching a suntan/sunburn in APRIL.

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Congrats!

I have to ask. What kind of reel was it that fell apart?
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
        Congrats!

I have to ask. What kind of reel was it that fell apart?
        It's a Shimano sienna 4000fd I think. Honestly it's been fine and still is, got it on sale from dicks last year for 20$, and only the knob on the opposite side, which keeps the handle tight, got loose somehow. I much prefer the design of the BG and other reels with the fully threaded handle, and nothing on the other side to hold it in place. The reel worked fine after I tightened it back up, it just was hard to do in the middle of fighting a totally surprise big fish.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice!
          Harlan

Revo 13
          Trident 13
          Cuda 14
          Necky Tandem

Comment

Nice fish Pat, be glad you didn't go to Susquehanna. I have been fishing the flats and the river and have one small rock in 4 trips.

Comment

Originally posted by mike o View Post
              Nice fish Pat, be glad you didn't go to Susquehanna. I have been fishing the flats and the river and have one small rock in 4 trips.
              Yeah I've heard of very few fish caught from there, these crazy temp swings are really screwing with fishing. I've always wanted to head up there but the wind has really kept me from doing so...and the poor reports aren't making me too anxious to take my first trip up there.

Comment

Wow's that's a "football" of a fish! Congrats on the new personal best.
                J

Comment

Well done, bro! . Congrats on the PB!! The Severn has been good to you.
                  Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                  Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                    So I was determined to fish Friday afternoon, after a 2 week hiatus. The high wind forecast meant that I had to pick a new spot to fish, as I was going to fish the flats, which would've been very taxing and even dangerous in my paddle yak. So, I went with a different river, and picked some familiar creeks that I've fished many times on the Severn. Fishing was very slow but I did find a great spot that I pulled a very strong 22" fish out of, and then 10 minutes later in the same spot, I pulled a new PB 32" rockfish, which put up a great fight on my cheapest rod/reel combo. The handle actually started to come loose during the fight and I was worried the reel was going to fall apart, but I kept my composure and fixed it, and was able to land the fish, take a few quick pictures, and release it. There were lots of powerboats just cruising into my spot, and that ruined the fishing after those 2 fish, but I didn't mind too much obviously. I then met up with WHBD a little later and we continued to fish the river but neither of us got any fish after that.

Overall I was very happy that I applied a little bit of knowledge to locating a spot that was sheltered from most of the wind, but would still hold fish (shallow water in theory should warm quicker in the afternoon, and hold fish coming in to feed), and was successful.
                    Congrats on the PB!
                    Gregory
                    ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                    2014 Pro Angler 12
                    '

Comment

Congratulations on catching a personal best striper. Most Chesapeake anglers are struggling at the moment. That makes you catch even more impressive.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice fish!
                        XXXMedium

Hobie PA12
                        Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem (Snakehead Rig)

Comment

Thanks everyone. I got very lucky but certainly my persistence (and reports from a local friend) really helped me find some fish. But the Severn in general has been very hit or miss. My last 3 trips yielded 3 fish total. Albeit, none below 22". (22 25 32). But the third trip was a skunk and I covered many miles. I bet this warmer weather will only improve the fishing though, hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                          X