Forgetfulness...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgetfulness...

Headed out the door this morning in the dark...loaded up Lady Luck and my gear yesterday so I would not leave something important behind...20 miles down the road I finally figured out what I had left at home....my glasses and my cell phone...damn! I hate that...almost halfway to the launch and knowing I only had 2 maybe 3 hours of falling tide to fish...so I debated should I turn around and go back for the phone, or just bail on the whole damn trip or just go...hate to be out of contact without communications, but what the heck...launched at 6 A.M. in the Slower Lower to a very slight breeze...lots of tree pollen sacks on the water fouling the lures...got to my target and dropped back 3/4 oz jighead (6/0 hook) and six inch white swimbait with chartreuse garlic tail dipped on one rod and six in chartreuse swimbait on the other rod...didn’t take long to get the skunk off...first fish was a spunky 24 1/2 inch...followed by several more 20 something fish...then the rod doubled over and the drag hummed...had trouble getting the rod out of the rod holder, but after a good fight finally had my PB of this year alongside, a really fat football 31 1/4 inch fish...since this is my first Striper catch of 2018...ended up with 9 landed and released, 2 lost at the boat and several brief hookups..off the water by 8:30 headed home...glad I stuck it out even though I cannot believe I forgot my glasses and cellphone...wife was concerned about the phone...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Glad to hear a productive, yet short trip!
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
      Glad to hear a productive, yet short trip!
      Where did you fish? General area don’t need your secret spot. Just want to see how the season is progressing across the bay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Checklist!
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Slower Lower is St. Mary’s County in Southern Maryland...and you are so right, Mark...getting up trying not to wake the family, easing out the door in the dark...that is why I loaded up everything the day before...my personal stuff is a given...wallet, glasses, cell phone..

And Water temp this morning was 61 degrees...I was using barbless hooks today for C&R...do not plan to eat any fish over 30 inches and the size for a legal fish is 35 inches, so all C&R until the regular season...
          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-02-2018, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            Slower Lower is St. Mary’s County in Southern Maryland...and you are so right, Mark...getting up trying not to wake the family, easing out the door in the dark...that is why I loaded up everything the day before...my personal stuff is a given...wallet, glasses, cell phone
            I’m right across the bay thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Water temp in the 60s is always a good sign, thanks for the info Ron!
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Great work Ron. I'm glad to hear that stripers are out there for those of us who can find them.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great job on the personal best, that's a nice early season pig!
                  I keep meaning to write a checklist, but i always forget to do it.
                  Jay

10' Green Slayer
                  13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Great work Ron!
                    J

Comment

Ron: Great job. I have a checklist, and check it each time I go out. Plus, I make it a rule that at the end of packing, I go around and phyically touch each piece of gear. And then, sometime I mess up........

Best Regards,
                      Stan
                      Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
                        Great work Ron!
                        Great Job!
                        Gregory
                        ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                        2014 Pro Angler 12
                        '

Comment

No glasses, no photos. How do we know if it was a fish or a buoy that you measured, Mr. Magoo?

Well done Ron. Been a tough spring to figure things out.
                          Mike
                          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thankfully, I only need glasses to read...although i always like to have mine with me for tying knots and changing lures...and it has been frustrating...my previous two trips were empty holes...no fish...

Comment

Congrats Ron! Can't wait to see those larger fish up our way soon.
                              -manny

Hobie Outback
                              Wilderness Systems 130T
                              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Working...
                              X