Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never been to mattawoman with water temps this low....where's the fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never been to mattawoman with water temps this low....where's the fish?

Took a fast trip to Smallwood for the end of the week, got here yesterday. I've never been here with zero vegetation, it's a whole new place. We didn't get too far up yesterday (I can't do the Hawthorne drop with my car), but we threw keitechs and chatters and square bills with nary a bump. I couldn't even find a catfish.

Normally we find the cats in shallow water but are they still deep? Gonna drop the the mattawoman creek road drop or slavins today I think, any suggestions?

I have basically everything possible to throw, water is pretty stained around the park and around 70-72 degrees. We were also fishing an outgoing tide so there's that. Lots and lots of carp activity, lol.

I'm also here running the ProNav on my pursuit if anyone is around and wants a demo. We leave tomorrow afternoon.
    Last edited by WVKayakFisher; 05-04-2018, 07:50 AM.
    2016 NuCanoe Pursuit 13.5
    2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12
    2008 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT 12
    2011 Native Ultimate 14.5

I always have success at Slavins. Best of luck. Good reports of current water temp and aquatic vegetation are appreciated, this weekend looks like overcast/light-rain so may be challenging in addition to tide/temps.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Thanks! I've never dropped at slavins. Up the creek or down? I also just drone scouted the area and found stuff I had NO IDEA was here.
      2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12

Comment

We like Slavins, typically head up river to the shallows, do very well with raw shrimp for blue cats, and in the warm summer months I do very well with the SH, my personal favorite.
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Cool thanks. That's the one section I've never done. You think cats are already shallow?
          2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12

Comment

Working...
          X