St Jeromes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Jeromes

With the recent warm spell I decided to give St Jerome’s creek a try this morning. Arrived at the launch and was immediately attacked by mosquitos feasting on my pale meaty winter legs. Darn it, I didn’t think to bring bug spray. As the sun rose the mosquitoes hid and the blood sucking biting flies took their place. I guess the warm weather is a blessing and a curse.

Headed out to the inlet and had several bumps along the way, a positive sign. I was soon into fish, however their size was lacking. I ended up with about 20 fish and they were all 12-16”. A strong SW wind developed and I had to fight it and the current to get back to the launch. In the narrowest part of the creek I started to catch more schoolies, however I was losing 100 feet of hard fought ground for every fish as I turned to fight it. Later in the year I’d have pulled my lure but this was my first day of really getting into them this year so I sacrificed the ground gained for the bend of the rod.

Hopefully bigger fish will show up, I was just happy to catch some.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Hey- C&R on light tackle is a blast...use barbless hoks and enjoy the action...don’t eat big fish so down size the tackle...only problem with that logic is the fish don’t read...I was doing that last year when a bigger than my target fish decided it wanted my lure, being severely undergunned ended up with lost lure and lost fish...so now days my light tackle is a 2500 Reel with 10 or 12# braid...still fun but capable of landing a good fish...no more 1000 size UL tackle on the salt...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
    X