First 2018 Severn perch for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First 2018 Severn perch for me

I have kept records for the past few years on fish I caught and when and where I caught them. In most recent years, the white perch move into the shallow shoreline spots at about the second week of May. Today is May 8, the start of the second week of May. Yesterday, Mark, John Rentch, and I did some scouting in three different Severn tributaries. We had no perch bites among us.

This morning I visited a fourth Severn tributary. In the first 15 mins, I had no bites and expected to keep the skunk going. Then to my surprise, I felt a tap and some tugging. I reeled in my first Severn perch of the year. This poor fish had serious puncture wounds on both sides.

2003-08-01 00-00-04.jpg

I wondered if it had been injured by a predator and had been too weak to move out of that spot last fall. But I soon caught a second perch from the same area - this one was healthy. I continued moving around the shoreline and found another pocket from which I pulled out five more perch.

Here are my observations and tips from the trip.

1) I am happy to have found a few perch in the shallows -- these fish are the first of millions that will soon venture into the shoreline shallow areas along most of the Severn creeks and tidal ponds. However, they are far from abundant at this point. I suspect that by the end of May they will be easy to find.

2) All fish today came from shaded areas. This is one of my important perch rules for summer time, when the water is warm and the air is hot. But even today on a pleasant cool morning, the perch bit only in the shade.

3) Not all stretches of shoreline produce equally. Although many shorelines look the same to my eyes, there are definite factors that cause fish to congregate in certain areas and not in others. There is little substitute for putting in some time and learning which stretches of shoreline are most productive in each tributary. If you try some areas and do not catch well, keep moving. As noted in #2 - concentrate your efforts in shaded area.

4) Summer perch fishing in the Severn is a shallow fishery. I rarely catch perch in more than 3 or 4 ft depth, and often find them in 1 to 2 ft depth.

5) Perch have a small mouth. Use lures that are in the same size range as the food source. My go-to perch lure for the Severn tributaries is a Bignose spinner in 1/8-oz size. They catch well for me, but other small spinners, either safety-pin style or inline style, work too. I threw a 2" twistertail on 1/8-oz jighead too, but today the fish had no interest in that lure. The spinner blade on the Bignose spinner made enough noise and vibration that helped the perch find that lure in the murky water.

6) Spring has sprung, and many plants are undergoing their reproductive activities. The place I fished today had large oak trees nearby leading to lots of the catkins dropping onto the water surface. Other areas were fully covered in pollen. This fouled the lure on many casts. I also encountered some slender green SAV that got hung up on the lure intermittently.

2003-08-01 00-05-53.jpg 2003-08-01 00-22-46.jpg
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 05-08-2018, 01:12 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John,
    Wonderful report, thanks! I have read, on this board, about perch loving the shade and have wondered if this was just in hot weather, now I know that they always look for the shady shots.

One question:
    -- Where do perch go on overcast days??

Thanks,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

You'll have to wait for John's next book, i'm hoping it also has the secret as to where the yellow perch travel in the off-season, the eternal mystery!!!

John thank you for the report! Early perch in the Severn associates with a good fishing season!
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Great report. Thank you!!
        Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

Perch have saved many a slow day. Maybe it’s different down here but we catch quite a few perch on humps and ledges in open water, maybe 4-6’ deep. We also find them in shade. My go to perch lure is a mini crank bait. As a bonus I caught my biggest redfish and a few 20” stripers on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
            Perch have saved many a slow day. Maybe it’s different down here but we catch quite a few perch on humps and ledges in open water, maybe 4-6’ deep. We also find them in shade. My go to perch lure is a mini crank bait. As a bonus I caught my biggest redfish and a few 20” stripers on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike makes some good points. What I described in my post is how I fish for perch in the summer in the Severn. My technique probably will work elsewhere, but it is far from the only way to catch perch. Mike found an effective lure and technique for perching in his area. For many years, I caught perch by bottom fishing with bloodworms or Fishbites over hard bottom in the main bay. However you choose to catch them, enjoy a good fight on light tackle and, if you choose to eat them, enjoy a good meal.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Those mini crankbaits will just just about anything, I've caught a dozen different species of fish with the ones I use.
              Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Congrats to John V. for citing the 2018 arrival of Severn white perch.

When they're plentiful, they're not especially picky about lures. Like others, I have caught them on mini and even 1/2 oz. crank baits. Some bite lures almost as large as their own bodies.

A 1/8 oz. jig and a 3 inch white or yellow Mr. Twister is perhaps the cheapest sure bet white perch lure.

A Clouser Minnow or a wooly bugger will catch them. I've even caught them on surface flies. That stands to reason, since their larger cousins, striped bass, hit poppers.

But by far, I've caught most on my own 1/8 spinner baits made from a Do-It mold. This one here caught 61 perch in 5 different locations in the Severn last July:

P1010768.jpg

I played a game to see how many I could catch during an outing from 5 different spots, moving on after 12. At 61, you can see I broke my own rule at the last site. I could have caught many more that day.

The lure was a little beat up from prior trips. I have no doubt I caught over 100 with it during its life. I retired it out of respect.

White perch have saved many a kayak fishing outing for me.

It's good to know that they'll be here in big numbers soon.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

[QUOTE=Mark;154364]Congrats to John V. for citing the 2018 arrival of Severn white perch.

When they're plentiful, they're not especially picky about lures. Like others, I have caught them on mini and even 1/2 oz. crank baits. Some bite lures almost as large as their own bodies.

A 1/8 oz. jig and a 3 inch white or yellow Mr. Twister is perhaps the cheapest sure bet white perch lure.

/QUOTE]

Mark,
                  There are a lot of mister twisters. Is this the version that you like: https://www.mistertwister.com/inform...358#MTSF20%201

Also, can you point me towards your favorite jigs?

Thanks,
                  Stan

Comment

Stan,

Yes, those are the ones. I also use Mr. Twister knockoffs from Cabela's and Bass Pro. Again, I like the three inch versions. Big perch slurp them down from the rear and little ones are not deterred by a lure 1/2 their length.

I pour my own jigs from Do-It molds. I'm sure any commercial 1/8 oz. jig will work fine. Each of mine below are 1/8 oz. and have a No. 1 hook. I'd look for that in commercial jigs. You want a wide hook gap if possible.

Perch Lures.jpg

Adding a spinner can work wonders. You often don't need the spnner but if the water is stained, I think the spinner creates more noise to help the perch find the lure.

I use safety pin style spinners. You can buy them in stores with blades already attached. Or you can buy the arms, blades and split rings separately like I do and assemble them yourself. I also have a Do-It mold to create the "horsehead" jig with a smaller blade that you see in the photo. They're Do-It's imitation of the very effective Road Runner Jig.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Between North Ferry Point & South Ferry Point in the Magothy last year, I had an aggressive WP hit my 4.5 or 5" chartreuse zman style paddletail on a 1/2oz. Granted he was a solid 10.75-11.5" fish, still my lure was +/- half his total size. WP are definitly not shy from going after larger bait.
                      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                        Stan,

I pour my own jigs from Do-It molds. I'm sure any commercial 1/8 oz. jig will work fine. Each of mine below are 1/8 oz. and have a No. 1 hook. I'd look for that in commercial jigs. You want a wide hook gap if possible.

Adding a spinner can work wonders. You often don't need the spnner but if the water is stained, I think the spinner creates more noise to help the perch find the lure.

I use safety pin style spinners. You can buy them in stores with blades already attached. Or you can buy the arms, blades and split rings separately like I do and assemble them yourself. I also have a Do-It mold to create the "horsehead" jig with a smaller blade that you see in the photo. They're Do-It's imitation of the very effective Road Runner Jig.

Mark: I have so much to learn! But, I must say it's fun learning it. I'm itching to get back out. I have setup with work, that I can fish each Tuesday morning, till October. I cannot wait!

Thanks so much for your help.

Best Regards,
                        Stan

Comment

Working...
                        X