Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter and Spring Epilogue.......

Winter and Spring Epilogue.......

Started out going to Beachwood Park in February... went up a number of times..
    nothing exciting... cold days, sunny days... just great getting out after the ice broke.
    Caught a few yellow perch.. didn't keep any..

The first day I went up to Beachwood back in February... a young lad was there at the same time.
    He tossed out a plastic worm... and caught a catfish as I was rigging my gear.

I went to the rocks rip rap at the head of the creek... and with the sun in my eyes something hit
    hard on a beetle spinner rig... it went deep and jumped out of the water. First fish of the year..
    probably a pickerel.. it shook the hook.

Some other trips in the area... etc.

March 27th... went to the Wye River.. love this area but had never been here this early in the year.
    Launched at Bennet's Point Landing... I hadn't been up river before from the launch.. thought maybe a perch
    or striper around. Gloomy cold day... sprinkles of rain... nothing going on.. no minnows anywhere like I had
    seen earlier in the year up at Beachwood. But all good... just being on the water is great.
    A good recon for what is up that way to the top of the Island.

April 3rd
    Went to Tuckahoe Park.. had not been there before... dark gloomy rainy day...
    nothing exciting went up river... cool exploring... caught my first white perch (for the year), a handful more.. and a yellow;

It's fun to explore new places... the journey is the reward...

April 11th went to St. Leonards Creek... via Jefferson Patterson Park on the Patuxent River.
    First time in this area... and what a beautiful place. And super cool with the Maryland State Museum of Archaeology.
    Caught my first rockfish for the year... just a little guy... explored some of the creeks.. maybe a perch.. but no.
    I was working my way along 10foot of water... sandy bottom,,, and a big hit... spun the kayak right around..
    Thought it was a snag... but then it started fighting... but shook the hook close to the boat... oh well...
    we'll never know what it was... but fun.
    If you go to Jefferson Patterson Park go all the way to end where there is a turn around and beach area to launch.
    Use Google satellite/earth view to figure it out... the signs to the regular kayak/canoe launch is a difficult launch.

April 18th went to Weems... just some fish marks on the sonar.. went up river.. hadn't been up that way
    before to any extent.. fun to explore. Sunny windy day.. of course... it was one of those days...
    when you head out against the wind... battling it... expecting the ride return the wind would be at your back.
    But just as I got to my turn around point.. the wind shifted.. and strong against me for the return.
    A bunch of the Annapolis guys and gals were rowing there boats...in short sleeves and shorts..
    it was chilly enough for me with all my gear.. I know they were cold.
    Go Navy !

April 28th... quick trip.. to hit the water.. went to Weems on the Saturday.
    Winds were ok.. not a battle as I headed down river.. marked some fish...
    It was one of those beautiful Spring days, the taste of the saltwater spray.. the scent of
    the Cherry Blossoms along the ball fields of the Academy... fish or no fish.. it was great.
    From the words of the famous Surf Guru.. Don Redondo.... "well cornflake if you wanted to be
    alone in the water you should have stayed in bed."
    And well... as I made my way up to my end point destination at Eastport... I was a fly amongst
    a plethora of sailboat races. I think every team was out there except from Lithuania...
    Got to my spot and caught two small rockfish.. wind at my back for the trip back.
    I have now installed a flag for the kayak... I usually paddle the "river less traveled",,,
    but a flag really helps to keep you visible...

May 2nd Sandy Point...
    Who doesn't love the rumble of semi trucks rolling over your head
    and the shaking of steel girders while your are fishing....
    Soft sandy beach area launch... figured I'd hit the lighthouse and work my way south.
    Beautiful day.. light winds... marked some fish.. no happy reports as the rumble of
    the bridge tingled my toes.
    Went further south, past the Bridge... there is a rock pile there.. marked some fish but no.
    Made my way to off of Goose Pond.. dropped anchor and had lunch.
    Usually... what works best for me is on my two front rigs... I use a blue/silver, and black/silver Rappala
    swim bait (hard plastic), and the two rear rods I use chartreuse jig head and white soft paddle tail.
    On my back from Goose Pond... I was marking a lot of fish.. but no hits.
    Soooo... I dropped anchor... put two soft plastic dark blue paddle tails, and a copper sparkle soft paddle tail on.
    Booom ! I was getting fish ! Neither of theses had worked before...
    Caught 14 fish... all little guys.. but hey... the lineup worked. Go Washington Capitals !
    Now if we could only do that for the Redskins....

this epilogue continues with my post Kent Point Marina May 9th....
    Last edited by rob-kayak; 05-17-2018, 09:56 AM.

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post

... SNIP .....

Who doesn't love the rumble of semi trucks rolling over your head
    and the shaking of steel girders while your are fishing....
    Soft sandy beach area launch... figured I'd hit the lighthouse and work my way south.
    Beautiful day.. light winds... marked some fish.. no happy reports as the rumble of
    the bridge tingled my toes.
    Went further south, past the Bridge... there is a rock pile there.. marked some fish but no.
    Made my way to off of Goose Pond.. dropped anchor and had lunch.
    Usually... what works best for me is on my two front rigs... I use a blue/silver, and black/silver Rappala
    swim bait (hard plastic), and the two rear rods I use chartreuse jig head and white soft paddle tail.
    On my back from Goose Pond... I was marking a lot of fish.. but no hits.
    Soooo... I dropped anchor... put two soft plastic dark blue paddle tails, and a copper sparkle soft paddle tail on.
    Booom ! I was getting fish ! Neither of theses had worked before...
    Caught 14 fish... all little guys.. but hey... the lineup worked. Go Washington Capitals !
    Now if we could only do that for the Redskins....

Ha! I feel the same when I fish there! Great report and lots of good fishing tips, thanks!

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post

this epilogue continues with my post Kent Point Marina May 9th....
    Thanks for the info. My first trip out is Tuesday May 22nd, mid-Severn. I hope there are some Perch waiting for me......

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
    X