Carp In the Upper Severn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carp In the Upper Severn?

Early on Saturday morning, (6:30), I was trolling along Sherwood Forest on the outskirts of a large grass bed. Up ahead I saw what I believed to be rockfish breaking on the surface. When I got closer I realized that it was massive, carp?, they were grey with scales like a carp but a flatter head, like a catfish. They were all around me and breaching the surface like a whale and thrashing. One even swam right under my kayak. I never thought that carp would be this far up the river and was quite surprised. What else could it be, any ideas? I got some cool videos of them doing that as well.
    Last edited by CarsonNash; 05-30-2018, 01:35 PM.
    Annapolis
    2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
    Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

I believe carp are spawning right now, or about this time. They're very acrobatic for being such fat fish, they'll jump really far out of the water. I saw a massive dead bloated one near Beverly triton, and I think they have a relatively high salinity tolerance so they're probably thick in all the slower portions of the bay tribs

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree - its approx Carp spawn season...
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Carp can be seen in the very upper reaches of the Severn above Indian Landing at various times of the year. It is very shallow and muddy there.

Last week I visited a tidal pond downstream from the Sherwood Forest area mentioned by the original poster. It was full of carp in active mating mode (splashing, slamming into each other, etc). In fact one large carp slammed into the bottom of my kayak catching me by surprise. With their minds on lovemaking, they were not interested in feeding.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I saw them in the Little Magothy river a couple of weeks ago. First time anyone had seen them.

Comment

There was also a very large one at a launch I frequent on Stoney Creek. Not sure if someone placed it there, or actually caught and disposed. Fellow angler thought it may have been placed, but I see more and more reports of Carp recently.
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

They are all over the magothy so the Severn wouldn’t surprise me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                There was also a very large one at a launch I frequent on Stoney Creek. Not sure if someone placed it there, or actually caught and disposed. Fellow angler thought it may have been placed, but I see more and more reports of Carp recently.
                I've seen them there a few times as well.
                Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

They must swim in the Bay proper too, not just the rivers and creeks.

There was a huge dead one on the sandy beach at Downs Park last week.

It got a lot a interest from little kids walking with their parents on the beach. Of course, the parents weren't inclined to stop. They were yanking their little ones forward.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I've been seeing them in the upper creeks of the Severn lately. They were also going crazy near Slavins on the Mattowoman yesterday(what a wet day!). Next time I go down there, I'm going to have a gig in one of my rod holders.
                    2015 Hobie PA14
                    2000 Hobie Mirage Classic with rod holders
                    2006 Triton T/S 17

Comment

A couple of years ago I saw a big carp sitting in the surf at Sandy Point. It also looked more grey in color, so I had to get up close and make sure it wasn't a bull red that got lost and headed way north

Comment

I caught a 15ish lb golden carp on blood worms last year. Got it about 10 miles below the 301 bridge on the Potomac in July while fishing for bait. Fought like crazy. One of the best fighting fish I've ever caught on light tackle. I'd have sworn it was red drum. MD state record (44 lbs 6 ounces in 1978) comes from right around the 301 bridge off bloodworm as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X