Clark’s Landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clark’s Landing

With the Patuxent now open for striper Fishing I decided to give it a go this morning. Usually I won’t fish here on weekends because of the crowds, however the weather for the next few days didn’t look great. Arrived at 5:10 to a busy ramp but was able to launch with no one cursing me out, a good start. Had to wait to throw my lure in because the first of 173 trot lines was strung just outside the ramp. I also noticed an abundance of floating grass, which came to dominate the day. Several times I had to pull the drive up to clear the fins.

Worked my usual spots without much success but hard to catch fish when I had to reel in every 30 seconds to clear grass. Headed towards a deeper ridge when I had a guy in a 27’ Grady White buzz by me about 50’ away at full speed. At least the wake was exciting. Went back to a more sheltered area as the boat traffic was silly. Started a pass when the rod bent double and line started screaming and I felt the reassuring head shake, no CNR. After a couple of exhilarating minutes had a fat 24” in the boat. My only fish of the day as it turned out.

Fished for another hour after that fish with nothing but grass for my trouble. Fish came on a pearl/chartreuse 4” paddle tail in 8’ of water near some docks. There are reports of good fish in the Pax right now but boy the grass makes it tough. Even top water resulted in about 50% fouled lure casts. If you can fish during the week it would be saner from a traffic perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

It is amazing how one good fish can improve your outlook for a trip. This time of year does feature some floating grasses that add an extra challenge.

Like you, I prefer to fish on weekdays when the boat traffic and fishing pressure is much lower.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I noticed the same thing yesterday in Eastern Bay, the fish we landed were fat and healthy. Must be lots of food in the water.
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Congratulations Mike.

That's a nice catch.

Yesterday, when I John V. and I launched his boat I noticed a MD DNR sign at the ramp. It listed the occasions when boaters must control their wakes. It was a long list. I'm pretty sure the last item was "within 100 feet of any personal watercraft." Wouldn't that include a kayak?

Unfortunately, your story of the guy buzzing by you within 50 feet is not unusual. What was unusual is that you didn't say the boater made an obscene gesture as he passed. I know two fellow kayak anglers who've been the recipient of that infamous digital message right before they had to brace for a large wake.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

No obscene gesture on his part, perhaps on mine. I’m not sure he saw me as his head never looked my way. Oddly to me he was heading full bore from the main river into the creek at 6AM, normally everyone is headed out at that time.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
          X