• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6-4-18 Mattawoman

IMG_20180604_095522203.jpg

IMG_20180604_103430295.jpg

IMG_20180604_101731257.jpg
    Set out today with the mindset to catch a snakehead...2 bass and a third self released at the yak....very courteous of him. Missed the first snakehead. It exploded and was airborne towards me...no chance to set the hook...it was impressive...big sucker. Second one, same violent explosion, but I got a chance to set...obviously not good enough...I got it to the yak, but it was underneath...I was flailing around like a loon with my collapsible net...I'm sure the snakehead thought it was hilarious...I only caught a flash of color when I leaned back to get it up and get the net under...gone...it was still so friggin awesome...I had to sit for a minute to get my breathing back to normal...suckers are fierce...met another snaggedliner out there...had a nice chat...great guy...
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Somehow the terrible weather seems to always fall on the weekend. I really enjoy mattawoman, glad to see you hooked your first SH, I love to target them, they are an awesome species. Also taste mighty fine on the grill. Today was definitly the calm day of the week, I saw sunlight from dawn to about mid afternoon. Glad to see a SL member get soem SH action!
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Thanks...I was starting to think I'd never get a hook into one...I was given one last year..Soo tasty...I learned a little today, so hopefully I will get one actually in the boat...I will start by having the net ready �� I was gonna head to aquia but changed my mind at the last minute...
      Hobie Outback
      Stand Up Paddle Board
      Pelican 100

Comment

Great report. I was worried with all the rain last night it would not be fishable back there. Way to go after those snakeheads. Impressive aerial show for sure.

Yak67
        2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
        2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

It was great meeting you out there and chatting! It turned into a killer day. Going on a weekday was great, and I don't think CLM or I saw one bass boat the whole day. I only spotted 2 other kayakers and one guy in a canoe who also looked like he was going for SH.

I fished the holes around the launch for most of the day, landing 14 blue catfish including a couple in the 10-12lb range. Kept 3 for good eats. I swapped to searching for SH and got two massive blowups in the very back reaches of the vegetation, but both of them swung and missed my frog. I was chatting with CLM about how you really have to get used to not soiling your pants when those things hit so you can actually gather yourself and set the hook. My first blowup was massive and I about capsized trying to set the hook, which only ended up launching my frog back at me like a rubber missile. I think this is what makes SH so intriguing...it really is a battle to get them. The photo that CLM posted here does the day justice...it was spectacular out there, and spending some time talking fishing and sharing stories was a cherry on top.

I'm always amazed by the diversity of life at Mattawoman. In the water you've got LMB, SH, blue cats, carp, flatheads, white perch, rockfish, crappie, gar, and probably more. While I was soaking baits I saw multiple deer, hawks, eagles, herons, and even a barred owl! I'd never seen an owl in the wild...they're unexpectedly creepy.

Great day out there meeting a fellow SnaggedLiner and landing some fish!
          Last edited by YakMan1731; 06-05-2018, 07:48 AM.
          Matt
          Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
          2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
          10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Great meeting and chatting with you. I will shoot you a PM, maybe we can hit Blackwater.
            Hobie Outback
            Stand Up Paddle Board
            Pelican 100

Comment

Yes to all of this thread! Mattawoman, snakeheads, bass, catfish, nature....it's all great fun down there.

That last photo is so nice with the pads up like that. I am encouraged to take a trip there soon.

Comment

I’ve been impressed by the diversity of Mattawoman as well it is an awesome fishery. I’ve been sleeping on it for years! I hear the vegetation gets really thick in the summer. Gary I’m glad to hear that you got after some. Next time down I’m targeting bass and SH only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Working...
                X