Sunday morning on Weems Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday morning on Weems Creek

I tried to beat the heat and motor boat wakes, and did an early session today on Weems.

I had an official J. Rentch sighting today. It's good to see old friends out on the water!
    I also met a Snaggedliner named Mike, also in a Native Propel and set him up with a couple of the bignose spinners.

I was on the water for about 2 hours, and it was pretty slow except for one very small area that produced 10 perch in a 15 minute period. They were really concentrated in this one little cove.
    As usual, spinner jigs were the ticket-they seemed to prefer the one with the green and yellow striped blade.

The water was very high, so high that it was hard to toss under the docks, but a lot clearer than last week. It looked clearer as I got closer to the Severn. I did not fish above the bridges today.
    There was a lot of baitfish action going on, but there is a dearth of perch and rock in the creek.

Nice to see you on the water Stu, we sat and compared our surgeries. I ventured out on the Severn around 6 and made a clockwise venture trolling between the bridges- nothing.
    2018-06-17 09.08.21.jpg

Met up with Mike along the western side of the Severn perching, we exchanged our mornings efforts. He had some success along the rock wall.
    2018-06-17 08.24.41.jpg
    Saw few other kayaker Perching. Was a great morning weather wise -no wind and fairly strong flood.
    2018-06-17 08.30.39.jpg

The crazies started out about 9:30, so decided to head home. Another disappointing day on the Severn
    Attached Files
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Been a tough weekend all around. Haven’t heard much positive news from Fishing this weekend other than some scattered perch, and they were mostly small.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

960dc09b1ba92b2309f622fc7ce1db7f.jpg

No bad days fishing

Only bad catching!

Comment

��
          John Rentch
          Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

My wife and I were out there on Saturday and did ok. Probably 20-30 perch between us. None were over 10". Most were along riprap as the docks didn't produce like they normally do, however, I caught ~7-8 at one spot along a dock out on the main river.
            Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Every year there is a dead zone...some blame the red worm hatch for the fish shutting off...it generally lasts a week or two, but it is predictable and reoccurring...this too shall pass...go cut the grass, do some “honey-do’s”...clean your gear...give it a few days and then go catch some fish...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Stu,

Glad you got out and glad to hear the water in Weems is clearing.

Ron makes an interesting point. It seems that last weekend was an example of the fishing doldrums. The weather was great. The tides were right for an early launch but the fish didn't cooperate for many of us. If they did, the catchers weren't talking or writing. I've noticed that when I'm tidal fishing, channel 68 on my radio is a good indicator of my success at the moment. If I hear transmissions of "fish in the box" my day is usually going well also. If I hear chummers and trollers crying the blues, my fishing is usually subpar.

After being skunked Saturday, I mowed the lawn yesterday.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Even though the catching wasn't that good, it was really great to finally meet John Rentch and Stu out on the launch and water yesterday! I especially appreciate the addition of some more bignose spinners to my tackle box. John Veil gave me one of your spinners early last year and its the only one I've had any success with when fishing for perch, even yesterday. Thanks to both of you for all of you help and advice as well yesterday. Was especially cool to fish with another slayer propel 10! Now if I could just convince my wife that its time to trade in my SUV for a pickup truck! I'm looking forward to seeing you both out there again this summer as the bite picks up.

Mike Keith
                  Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Great meeting you Mike, those spinners are great perching rigs. Have even caught Stripers with them.
                    John Rentch
                    Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                    X