Sandy Point 6/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandy Point 6/18

Launched from Sandy Point this morning to try and take advantage of the low winds, and lack of boat traffic found the day before on Father's Day. I haven't heard many positive reports for the area, but being out on the water anyway beats staying home! I started off zig-zagging my way around the bridge pilings using my side-scan on the Lowrance to find structure that was holding fish as I passed by. I found some marks of suspended fish in depths of around 20-22ft. As soon as I pulled up a guy on a boat near me hooked up on a CNR. I tried some jigging, but that was difficult due to the quick incoming current. I tried some trolling and casting plugs and paddletails at the pilings but no dice. I did not see anyone pull anything up. A lot of the boats were anchored so I was assuming they were live lining or chumming since their rods were not making a jigging motion. I saw several CNRs breach the surface, including one close off my starboard side. I had heard CNRs were out and about so I tried using the less expensive soft plastics instead of plugs in case I got ahold of one. The current and wind started picking up causing some white caps so I decided to call it a day after about 3 hours on the water. I tried to save the skunk on the way in casting some small spinners at rip rap for some perch but no takers. Water temps 77-78 degrees. Although it was hot out today it felt great on the water with a slight breeze.

vlcsnap-2018-06-19-01h08m44s910.jpg
    Jayce
    2017 Ivory Hobie Pro Angler 12 "The Big Easy"
    2015 Flint Camo Wilderness Systems Ride 115X Max Angler

For the most par you just described the same experience I had there a couple of weeks ago. The wind was a little up when I went and it was impossible to hold any position and trolling and casting were unsuccessful. Always nice to get out on the water, but the experience I had at sandy point was not one I want to do again. If I were to go out again I would have picked a low wind day like last Saturday so you had the right idea. Just doesn’t seem like the Bay is producing much this year at least not for the casual weekend warrior that only gets out a couple of times a month like me.

Comment

It’s likely that you weren’t able to go far enough or hold in the right spots. Limits on jigs were caught on Saturday from SPSP.

Comment

Saturday 6/16 I saw what appeared to be a Ivory Dune, Red, and Papaya Outbacks at differing bridge pilings as I crossed over the Eastern Shore.
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
          Saturday 6/16 I saw what appeared to be a Ivory Dune, Red, and Papaya Outbacks at differing bridge pilings as I crossed over the Eastern Shore.
          There was even a Hobie tandem catamaran

You might want to try chunking bait around the bridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Take a drift sock with you and it will slow you down just fine. Has anyone tried bottom drifting across the Greenbury Point shoal lately? I have always found it to be a good perch spot using bloodworms.
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I fished the bridge pilings and rock pile last Tuesday. I trolled 3 rods , 1 with a tandem of bucktails with a paddle tail trailer, 1 with an x rap and 1 with another jighead and plastic. I got no hits trolling. I also jigged with jighead and plastic and hooked 1 fish that I lost at the kayak. I then but on a metal jigging spoon and caught a couple fish including a big white perch. I gave a spoon to my friend and he got a coupe also. We caught 3 that were 19 to 21 inches. A slow day but at least we got a couple. Don't know why they wouldn't hit the plastics.rock.jpg

Comment

When will the blue's hit Sandy point? I'm thinking of giving it a shot then.

Best Regards,
                Stan
                Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
                X