Solleys cove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solleys cove

First post. I went out Monday around 830 and had a great time. I did a short paddle to around the crab trap line and started hooking up almost none stop. Was using a small beetle spin with a 1in gulp minnow. Nothing huge but it was none stop fun on a light 4lb test set up. Went to ramshead for lunch and trolled the beetle spin catching many more small fish. After I was about to melt I headed backin very satisfied with the new close spot. I hope everyone had a safe and happy Father's day. More post to come. IMG_20180618_101747.jpgIMG_20180618_101144.jpgIMG_20180618_093204.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That's one of my local launches, if you want to meetup sometime LMK.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I might go tonight. The wife and kids are leaving today for a week so I will be out as much as possible. I was using pretty small lures, should I upsize to get some larger fish? I was thinking 3in-5in swimbaits or gulp? Any help would be awesome.

Comment

3-4" Paddletails on 1/4 - 1/2 oz jig heads (depending on water depth) are a great choice, they're relatively cheap and catch tons of fish. I prefer Z-Man Diezel Minnowz for their durability and cost. Gulp works well too, but it is a little on the pricey side and certainly doesn't last as long. I would keep a topwater lure of some sort handy if you're fishing early morning or late evening. Looks like you had a fun outing!
        Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

bassguy84,

Nice report.

Thank you.

That's a colorful pumpkinseed.

I did not know they were in those waters.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

It really surprised me to! It hit hard and fought well, I thought I had my first small striper then I pulled him up. He was a fun catch almost right across on the same side of the cove.

Comment

I launched my canoe about half a dozen times in Solley’s Cove back in the 2007 & 2008 targeting stripers and wperch. Mostly in the fall. My successes pretty much matched yours, small sub-legal stripers and mostly smallish wperch. So I guess not much has changed. One trip was decent with several just barely legal stripers being caught on 4” paddletails, chartreuse. A time or two I caught a few decent wperch in the deeper water in front of the CC station. The RR pivot bridge is also a good place for wperch. Twice a uniformed guy would walk out to the end of a CC pier and chase me from fishing around the pivot bridge. I’m guessing that may have been his favorite place to fish too. Sometimes I’d get out as far as the Beltway bridge but never did any better there. A trip or two I hit several schools of breaking dink stripers, little buggers but fun for a little while.

I really like fishing around all the old sunken wooden ships. A lot of them looked like really old ships. Tons of fishy looking structure there. Even so, I never had a banner day there, but it was fun for a while. Launching out of the HH ramp was always more productive so I pretty much gave up on Solley’s Cove area. BTW, as with everywhere, a good FF really helped out at finding fish, especially the wperch. Howard
              Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
              X