Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I missed the window of opportunity...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you like the motor set up on the rudder? Does it steer ok when you just use the mirage drive? Is there anything you don't like about it on the rudder set up? I just bought the evolve to use in my revo and have only used it in the mirage well. Except for the noise i like it...but i am thinking about putting it on the rudder set up because i like using the mirage drive for holding the yak in place as i fish. I don't like changing them out once i'm on the water. Is there less noise with it mounted in back? I would think so. If you could share some pros and cons it would be appreciated. There is not many out there that have this set up....at least that i know of. I have a 2008 revo with the old up and down system. I have to upgrade it to the T-handle system before i can do this.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
      Did you put grease on the O rings when you reassembled the unit? I use a little petroleum jelly on all O rings- used to work for the US Navy as a civilian employee- inside machinist and that is SOP for O rings they use in hydraulics and periscopes- Petroleum jelly is great gear grease for fishing reels and worm gears on the level wind bait casting reels- too. Cheap, too!

Glad to hear the mono line hadn't scoured the shaft or cut the O rings- That could be a pricey situation- Hope everything tests out fine and your unit is back in working condition-
      I did not put grease on the O-rings but I was careful not to mess with them much because I know how crucial they are to the whole operation. I might open it back up and put some p jelly on there as you suggested just to be safe. Its only four screws.

I ran it this morning and for half the day and it worked fine.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by mytime View Post
        How do you like the motor set up on the rudder? Does it steer ok when you just use the mirage drive? Is there anything you don't like about it on the rudder set up? I just bought the evolve to use in my revo and have only used it in the mirage well. Except for the noise i like it...but i am thinking about putting it on the rudder set up because i like using the mirage drive for holding the yak in place as i fish. I don't like changing them out once i'm on the water. Is there less noise with it mounted in back? I would think so. If you could share some pros and cons it would be appreciated. There is not many out there that have this set up....at least that i know of. I have a 2008 revo with the old up and down system. I have to upgrade it to the T-handle system before i can do this.
        I prefer the motor setup on thhe rudder because it allows me to use the mirage drive and motor at the same time. The biggest benefit of this is extending the range of the battery.
        I've had it mounted on the rudder for atleast 7-8 trips and I really dont remember how it steered with the rudder compared to the motor. Anyways, I think it steers fine while just using the mirage drive.
        The biggest disadvantage of having the motor on the rudder is that it is more likely to bump into things (or get tangled in fishing lines). When going around all the pilings of the bay bridge you have to be very careful to know where the back of your boat is in relation to the pilings at all times.
        I think there might be a little less noise. I remember the motor rocking back and forth some when going from forward to reverse which made a bit of an unsettling thud in the mirage well.
        Yea, there are not too many that have it yet, I get comments and open mouth stares everytime I go out.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll be changing it over in the winter...it seems like the best way to go with this setup. Glad to here your motor is ok. Maybe i'll see you on the water some day. I'll be the old fat guy with the blue revo and a torqeedo on the back.

Comment

Working...
          X