Honga River 6/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honga River 6/17

I haven't been on this site in sometime figured I give an update on one of my favorite places to fish. Took a trip down to Lower Hoopers Islands to see the status of speckled trout & croakers. I ended up catching 7 small croakers and two small speckled trout, conditions not quite adequate yet. I had to deal with the loose hydrilla/seaweed hanging up on my lures most of the time on the incoming tide.

The best part was the top water action for breaking stripers, couldn't keep the stripers off my needlefish jointed lure(brought back from Italy). Literally took less than a minute before a striper would hook up, the topwater action lasted for an hour. Then I moved closer to the shore picking off stripers along the shore points where I normally catch speckled trout in the summer time. The biggest striper of the day was at 30.5"

The picture below is what one 21" striper had in his stomach that I kept for lunch. I can only make out the third fish is a small croaker with its yellow fins.

Nice report!

I picked up a needlefish lure (Gibbs I think) for surf fishing a couple years ago that has yet to get wet. Ive been curious about maybe trying to troll it behind the yak and see if I have any luck. Its a big lure though, but bigger lures mean bigger fish right?
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Your exactly right, bigger lures means bigger fish.

I'll post a picture of the lure when I get a chance, I've never seen it here in the U.S., made in Italy for seabass, snappers, & amberjacks. I figured it would work for stripers as I've seen them chase small needlefish last summer.

Comment

Nice report! Over 30" is a huge fish! Great job, and sounds like a blast.

I tried to go to the attachment, but it said it was bad link.

Best Regards,
        Stan
        Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

thumbnail.jpg

Comment

What were you using for the specks and croakers? Good to hear some specks survived the winter. Haven't seen nearly as many reports of them as last year though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubishark View Post
              What were you using for the specks and croakers? Good to hear some specks survived the winter. Haven't seen nearly as many reports of them as last year though.
              4" bass assassin saltwater sea shads(electric chicken, chicken on a chain) on a jig head.

Last year, I had to hit them at right time during spawning season, this year the spawning season seems behind or salinity levels are not adequate.
              Last edited by AmberjackYakin; 06-24-2018, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X