Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions? Bank/Dock fishing w/grandfather

Hello all,

I know this isnt kayak related so please forgive me. Going out to fish with grandpa on sunday, im one of those guys that were introduced to fishing by my gpop so these times spent together are very important... Anyways, has anyone had luck from the dock at Ft Smallwood or the one at Jonas Green Park? Sandy Point Park maybe? We usually go to Ft. Armistead right under key Bridge because you can literally back your car up to the water, but we never have luck there. Any suggestions? Really want to actually catcch something this time around lol...

Thanks all!
    -TimH

Perception Striker

Tim,

That sound like fun. I miss those times with my Pops. Try the matapeake pier on the eastern shore. There are pretty decent reports coming out of there. Bring a surf rod and launch out into the bay as far as you can. Try bloodworms on a hi-lo rig with a heavy sinker. Good luck!
    Jaryd

Corfton, Md

Ocean Kayak Prowler 15

Ocean Kayak Scrambler

Comment

Tim,

I've never fished from it but the fishing pier at Downs Park is long and will give you access to the Chesapeake Bay. It attracts a lot of anglers.

https://www.aacounty.org/departments...wns/index.html
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        Tim,

I've never fished from it but the fishing pier at Downs Park is long and will give you access to the Chesapeake Bay. It attracts a lot of anglers.

https://www.aacounty.org/departments...wns/index.html
        Thanks Mark, I decided on this park as I didnt know it existed. Plus, I figured we may have more luck along the main bay stretch instead of a river dock like Jonas Green. Well, turns out I was wrong lol. There were a few of us out there, we arrive at around 8:30am and fished until noon. Only 4 fish were caught between the 10 of the anglers out there. All were juvenile, 4 inch or less striped bass. It was still great to get out, especially with gpop.

All in all, I hate fishing from docks. It just feels restricting, and you are only subject to possibly catch fish if they are passing by. Just saw your post on the fly fishing perch at Weems, Looks like it was a great time!
        -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Originally posted by jcoleman214 View Post
          Tim,

That sound like fun. I miss those times with my Pops. Try the matapeake pier on the eastern shore. There are pretty decent reports coming out of there. Bring a surf rod and launch out into the bay as far as you can. Try bloodworms on a hi-lo rig with a heavy sinker. Good luck!
          Thanks Jaryd, definitely going to keep this place on the radar, love those eastern shore waters...
          -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

The Downs Park Public Pier is where I spent 85% of my Angler like prior to owning a kayak.

That is a very serene setting on the open Bay.
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
              The Downs Park Public Pier is where I spent 85% of my Angler like prior to owning a kayak.

That is a very serene setting on the open Bay.
              Michael,

I have never fished from the Downs pier but I go back many years fishing at that spot. I used to fish from the shore where the pier is now. I would cast to white perch and schoolie stripers. When the tide allowed, I would walk out as far as I could on the rocks that still lay to the right of the pier. But as Tim said, fishing in one location is so confining. It would be torture for me now. My kayaks have spoiled me.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
              X