Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland regulation question

Hello

Im new to the area, and Im planning to turn my duck kayak into a fishing machine to get out and explore this new water. Im looking for boating regulations that effect kayaking, and cant find much. Are there any specific regulations I should be aware of? Im assuming life vest is required, but you would be a fool not to have one of those handy.

Essentially all regulations that apply to a regular boat apply to a kayak, sound device (whistle or horn), life preserver on board, appropriate lighting if you fish at night and if it has a motor of any type it needs to be registered. I don’t believe kayaks require flares.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
      Essentially all regulations that apply to a regular boat apply to a kayak, sound device (whistle or horn), life preserver on board, appropriate lighting if you fish at night and if it has a motor of any type it needs to be registered. I don’t believe kayaks require flares.
      Mike: I think you are correct about not needing flares.

UB: Also, remember that the lighting is required even if you launch a little before dawn.

Best Regards,
      Stan
      Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

In regards to lighting....From the State Req for Rec Vessels :

"Vessels under oars may display the lights prescribed for sailing vessels, but if
        not, one must have an electric torch ready at hand, or lighted lantern showing a
        white light to be displayed in sufficient time to prevent collision (see figure 6B)."

I took this to mean that you need some sort of flashlight (a headlamp is a good idea) onboard something small like a kayak. I also have clip on nav and a white all-around light, but I rarely use them unless I'm fishing a tournament that specifically requires them. If you were launching before sunrise or after sunset, from an area with lots of boat traffic and/or close to NRP officers (like Sandy Pt), I think it's best to err on the side of caution and put out at least the headlamp and all-around or nav lights too. But I think at the very least you should always have a headlamp. Most of my fishing spots are 60-75 minutes from my house, so it's tough to launch by sunrise, but if I do, I wear the headlamp (turned on low) until about 15 minutes after sunrise, longer if it's overcast.

On my next kayak I intend to wire up a couple different safety lights inside the sit-on hull, but for my current sit-in, it's fairly inconvenient to run wires all around the inside of the hull. Lures or other equipment become tangled in them, or worse, you could get tangled in them.

No matter what though, you're your best chance at being seen. If you see a boater coming your way, don't be afraid to use your paddle or other tall signaling devices, at the very least they'll see you twice, which is much better than not at all.

Comment

Audio device is required, most common are $3 whistle or ~$20 Compressed AirHorn

I've been warned/cited by NRP for not having a 360* white lamp at dusk (didn't make it back to the launch in-time) I'm not sure that a headlamp (maybe 135* max?) would be adequate. Headlamp is a fantastic supplement to the 360*, and I use a headlamp for pre-dusk loading / unloading.

I have the visipole II 360* light + flag. It takes 2 or 3 AA or AAA batteries; It's mounted to a mightymount on my Hobie PA rear h-bar, but will easily mount to a gear-trac. Relatively inexpensive at ~$75, I think I bought mine used for ~$50.
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Thank you for the help. To spend 75 bucks to save me a ticket and potentially save my but is a no brainer.

I have to drop some cash into the kayak to get things going right so what sounds like 80 to be safe and legal is fantastic. I will have to look to install a rail behind me. All I have currently is rod holders and a open bin behind me.

Comment

One thing, make sure that you mount the light higher then your head. I would not doubt that the Coast Guard would ticket you if, your body blocked the light in a certain arc.

I mounted my light into a 1 inch CPVC pipe and stuck it into a scrubber hole.

Best Regards,
              Stan
              Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
              X