Idylwild WMA ponds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idylwild WMA ponds?

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the ponds at the north end of Idylwild WMA, just south of Smithville Lake. I went there Friday. Fishing wasn’t super great- mostly sunfish and a bunch of crappie with a couple smallish LMB thrown in but there was enough going on that I’m going to go back, I think, at some point.

As you can see on google earth there are a bunch of small, 1-3 acre, ponds. Actually caught all my fish out of those. There is a long, thin pond , about 1/2 mile long. I was intent on exploring (and getting to Smithville) so I didn’t walk the whole thing. Looking back I should have gotten my kayak down and walked it to this pong. It’s about 3/4 from the entrance but the trails are pretty well maintained.

Not looking for any secret spots but doesn’t anyone have any knowledge of these ponds? I’m hoping the hike in might reduce the pressure. Any tips would be really appreciated.

Smithville was pretty good. Got some sunnies as well as 3 lmb , one of them decent. I don’t have much experience fishing still water for bass-
    Those lily pads were tough to fish!!

Best, Sam
    Attached Files
    You gotta hook em to cook em
    Moken Lite 10'
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13'
Working...
X