Turner's Creek and Shallcross Wharf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turner's Creek and Shallcross Wharf

Going to an event over at Mt. Harmon Plantation in August with the wife. We are going to turn it into a kayak trip to see the lotus blossoms, and I have been looking into launches in the area. There is nothing close on the Cecil County side, but it looks like Turner's Creek Landing and Shallcross Wharf are within decent paddling distance from the Kent County side.

2 questions:

1. Has anyone ever launched from either of these places, and if so, how is parking, etc. From Google satellite view, it looks like Turners Creek has better access and parking, but Shallcross Wharf is a little closer.
    2. Has anyone ever fished in this area? I found a reference or two to some decent perch fishing in the area, but that post was a little dated. Figured since we are going to be there, might as well come prepared!

Any info you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve
    Bel Air, MD

p.s. Looking forward to posting some reports once I get some trips under my belt this season. I'm still a bit of a noob, but looking forward to the M&G.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

I presume kayak launching? if so then if you pay for a day use at Mt Harmon or buy an annual member pass you can launch at the plantation, it's a sand launch off to the front leftside of the house across the field by the pier.

I've launched several times at Turner Creek, there is a lot of parking, not so much by the launch site but there is a dirt parking lot. If your going at that time of year there are lilly pads and you should see Lotus blossoms at this location also. Fishing can be hit or miss, bass, perch and rock out in the deeper channels. When you go out of turner creek into the sassafras go left along the left shore you'll run across a really small running creek if you go up into that creek ( you may need to walk and tow your yak up it) you'll run into an open area full of lilly pads. It's shallow but it can be traversed a little in a yak, plus its a fun ride out of the creek current.
    Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 07-03-2018, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X