A Family Affair for Perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Family Affair for Perch

I took my son and grandson out this morning from the new Downs Park launch into the Bodkin. It’s the first time my three kayaks have been on the water at the same time. Here we are heading out to the Bodkin from the launch:

P1030861.jpg

We started at 1030 and faced a rising tide.

It was my grandson’s first time paddling a kayak. He was in my Ultimate 12. He was “directionally challenged” at times, but he got it moving straight here:

P1030862.jpg

His dad paddled my Ultimate 145. It was his first time in it and he liked it.

P1030864.jpg

It was much hotter than forecast. It reached 94 today. Here they are making a water exchange:

P1030867.jpg

I learned during that process that an unopened 14 oz. bottle of water floats! That was a good thing. We needed every drop of cool fresh water we could spare on such a hot day.

I managed to line them up on some riprap and let them cast away. They were tossing a 1/8 oz. jig with curly tail grub and a one of my jig spinners.

P1030869.jpg

They got no strikes there.

I then took them to some areas with phragmites. My son and I hooked up here but my grandson was still looking for his first kayak fish.

P1030890.jpg

He didn’t get discouraged. But he did get tired. We were about 1.5 miles from the launch. Revo to the rescue. I towed him along from spot to spot. Here's a selfie of me as a tugboat:

P1030893.jpg

Looks like he was enjoying the ride.

With the sun high, shade was scarce. I found a sliver of cooler water and told him to cast to it:

P1030895.jpg

And finally – Success!

P1030899.jpg

Mission complete.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mark; 07-05-2018, 04:10 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Nice report Mark! Backwards baseball hat always = few fish. haha. The grandson looked like he had a nice time. He was using a cool looking paddle, what are the specs on it? I hope that my 20 year old son will meet the right gal and that I'll eventually be able to fish with my grandson. I don't get to fish with my son often enough, but I really enjoy it.

Comment

Tom,

It's a Werner Camano. I have two. One for the Ultimate 12 and a red one for the Ultimate 145.

They're very nice paddles. Each is 240 cm and relatively light at 27.5 ounces.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Nice report.
        Always good to get the next generation(s) involved in fishing!

Comment

Nice going Mark, am sure you had a great time despite the heat. Maybe a kayak in the near future for someone?
          John Rentch
          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Thanks guys.

I was blitzed in the heat.

Remember when we were complaining about the cold spring?
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Mark - I'm glad you were able to get your family members out with you. They will remember that. The next step is to teach your grandson not to wind his fish all the way to the rod tip. That is a recipe for breaking off tips.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                Mark - I'm glad you were able to get your family members out with you. They will remember that. The next step is to teach your grandson not to wind his fish all the way to the rod tip. That is a recipe for breaking off tips.
                I know! He did that before casting too. You can only tell them so many times before they learn the hard way -- or I do. He was using my rod.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

What a great way to spend time with three generations. Nice report Mark!
                  Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

Very nice, looks like a fun time!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                    X