Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mid Severn Report: ..... Better then a sharp stick in the eye.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid Severn Report: ..... Better then a sharp stick in the eye.

Went out again on my Tuesday pre-work outing--launched at 5:45.

Again, no sea-gulls, limited fish jumping, not much any above water sign of fish.

Took along my perch rod this time, and spent about a 1/3 of the time fishing for perch. The result:

-- One 10" rock fish on my perch rod (but no perch caught).

-- One 16" rock fish.

In general, the Mid-Severn, last year and this spring was great. Now, not so much. I bought a seasons pass, and am regretting that I did that. If things do not improve, I'm going to chuck the pass and try some were else.

Next week, I'm going to totally change up my routine, that has served me well for the past few years:

-- I'll try different locations. In the past, I've had great luck in mouths of Maynadier and Hopkin's Creeks; but they have produced nothing for me this year. The 16 inch rock fish came from 20+ ft water in the Round bay.

-- Previously, I've done best on 8-10 ft ledges, but this year, I have gotten my biggest rock fish going deep in the river / round bay. I'm thinking of trying more deep fishing next week. I think I'll try over in "little round bay" next week.

Anyways, I wished I had not gotten the seasons pass, but we all live and learn.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Last edited by manlystanley; 07-10-2018, 08:10 PM.
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Sorry to hear about your drought. I've been out in the lower Severn the last two weekends searching for perch. I've been lucky both times, about 50 on Saturday two weeks ago with 7 keepers, and this past Sunday another 50 or more with 13 keepers (9.5-10.5 inches). Based on those two outings I'm finding more perch about 20 yards off shore rather than holding tight to the edges under the trees. Though some are still there too. I did catch a 13 inch rockfish on my Mepps #1 perch spinner, but otherwise didn't target them. At least for perch, things seem to be getting back to normal for me. Now I just need to let them grow and fatten up till August and then stock up on my fish taco fillets. I was gone for a couple weeks in June but sounds like I didn't miss anything.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by azmdted View Post
      Sorry to hear about your drought. I've been out in the lower Severn the last two weekends searching for perch. I've been lucky both times, about 50 on Saturday two weeks ago with 7 keepers, and this past Sunday another 50 or more with 13 keepers (9.5-10.5 inches). Based on those two outings I'm finding more perch about 20 yards off shore rather than holding tight to the edges under the trees. Though some are still there too. I did catch a 13 inch rockfish on my Mepps #1 perch spinner, but otherwise didn't target them. At least for perch, things seem to be getting back to normal for me. Now I just need to let them grow and fatten up till August and then stock up on my fish taco fillets. I was gone for a couple weeks in June but sounds like I didn't miss anything.

Good luck.
      AZ: Congrats on the nice fish! Great suggestions, thanks; I'll give them a try.

In the Round bay, the water--20 yards from the shore--can be 6 feet to 18 feet deep. There are sand bars all over. Usually, the ledges before these sand bars has been real productive for me. Not this year.

I'll give the straight 20 yard from the shore rule a try next week.

Best Regards,
      Stan

Comment

I would hang onto that pass, things can always heat up (and usually do) come September and October.
        Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
          I would hang onto that pass, things can always heat up (and usually do) come September and October.
          Agreed. After my pity-party wore off, I'm all pumped to go back out. I deleted the name of the marina that I use (that was in my first post) as I did not want to hurt there business. I love the marina. My stuttering can sometimes be severe and they are always so nice and patient with me. Further, the place if super clean and well managed.

So, next week: It's perch hunting I will go! Later on in the season, I'll start to re-target rockfish.

Best Regards,
          Stan

Comment

Don't be afraid to try other locations. The Severn seems to be slow so far this year, but I've done well with rockfish from some of the Kent Island launches this summer. The drive is a bit longer, but it has been worth it in my experience. I'm sure you'll get into them soon enough!
            Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
              Don't be afraid to try other locations. The Severn seems to be slow so far this year, but I've done well with rockfish from some of the Kent Island launches this summer. The drive is a bit longer, but it has been worth it in my experience. I'm sure you'll get into them soon enough!
              I seem to really have poor 'fishing instincts'. It takes me a while to really learn an area and gain enough skills to catch anything. So, if I do switch to Kent, I be afraid that I' be floating around not catching anything. At leat in the Severn, I catch fish each outing.

What I need to do, is to start coming to the monthly fishing outings, but I have 5 kids, 7 grand-kids--so we are constantly doing family stuff.

Then, besides a full time job, I buy foreclosured houses--that we move into. My wife is a really saint, but she is fedup with the current beauty that we are in. So, I really need to get going on projects.

Best Regards,
              Stan
              Last edited by manlystanley; 07-11-2018, 10:35 AM.

Comment

I missed the name of the Marina before your edit, but if it puts you directly into Lil Round Bay I think (as joe said above) this fall you will be very happy you purchased the season pass. I'm curious, how much did it cost? With the limited put-in locations on the Severn, I think it would be WELL worth the money...
                Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
                  I seem to really have poor 'fishing instincts'. It takes me a while to really learn an area and gain enough skills to catch anything. So, if I do switch to Kent, I be afraid that I' be floating around not catching anything. At leat in the Severn, I catch fish each outing.

What I need to do, is to start coming to the monthly fishing outings, but I have 5 kids, 7 grand-kids--so we are constantly doing family stuff.

Then, besides a full time job, I buy foreclosured houses--that we move into. My wife is a really saint, but she is fedup with the current beauty that we are in. So, I really need to get going on projects.

Best Regards,
                  Stan
                  I've been busy lately as well between buying a house and planning a wedding, so I haven't been out much. You're welcome to join me sometime if you'd like.
                  Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Working...
                  X