Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Punching in at Mattawoman, what to do about the heavy grass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punching in at Mattawoman, what to do about the heavy grass?

Will be back at Mattawoman next week (come say hi if you're around!) and this time last year I had a heck of a time with the super thick vegetation. I've got some craws this time for punching in the lotus and I'll probably stick mostly to topwater, but I know ABSOLUTELY that they're lurking down under that heavy grass. Anyone have recommendations?

Not for cats I should say, I've got the kitties on lock. Looking for green fish and sneks.
    2016 NuCanoe Pursuit 13.5
    2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12
    2008 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT 12
    2011 Native Ultimate 14.5

My advice is to use a 1/16 oz bullet weight and a finesse worm and fish the grass edges. Cast the worm onto the top of the grass and slowly drag it off to the edge.
    When it falls drop the rod tip so it falls directly down. Med light rod and 20 lb power pro will produce many fish for you. This method works very well at low tide when topwater does not. My favorite go to worm is a 5 inch power curl tail worm. Color not that important..

Capt Mike

Comment

^ Good advice. The guy knows a thing or two about that area ;-)

On the higher half of the tide, especially on the outgoing, the fish like to sit just inside the spatterdock edges. I like to float the edge and pitch a tungsten weighted beaver or creature bait into the holes in the pads. I use as light a weight that can get me through the cover. Usually 1/2 oz works pretty well but sometimes you need to go heavier. Anywhere from just behind the first pad to 5 to 8 foot back. You obviously need some pretty heavy tackle to pull them out of there. I would take a topwater bite over this anytime but it can be productive at times.

Comment

Wow awesome advice!! Thanks! I have beavertails and weights to punch up in the thick stuff. I haven't tried it before but I'm prepared for it. Looks like I need to get some finesse worms...I'm partial to dreamshots, I bet they'll work just fine.
        2016 NuCanoe Pursuit 13.5
        2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12
        2008 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT 12
        2011 Native Ultimate 14.5

Comment

Even top-water gets snagged in the SAV unless you're pulling it thru a straight line of all water. I've even pickup up some subsurface limbs that were not apparent to the naked eye / did not breach the surface. I too need to get a nice weedless setup to be able to launch into the pads and be able to pull out finesse, there are large ones lurking.
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
          X