New member looking for there first striper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member looking for there first striper

Name is Don and I live in York pa. I grew up bass fishing middle river Maryland right by Bowles quarters (parents had a boat there) and never caught a striper. I have always been fascinated with them. In the past 2 years I have made it my goal to catch one. The local lake by my house has some and i have had no luck there. So this year I made 4 trips down to the surf to try to catch my first one. I got some nice blues and hooked into a quality striper but lost it. My hunt still continues so next Saturday i am headed out to middle river or the bay bridge to try to find one. Does anybody know if they are around the middle rover or hartmiller island yet? Im a little skeptical going out to the bay bridge by my self for my first time but i gotta do what i gotta do to fulfill my quest.

If you don’t mind paying the toll and the Queen Anne ramp fee(stop at Angler’s to get it) I would launch at Little Creek Landing and fish Crab Alley near Kent narrows. Hearing good reports of schoolies with some keepers in the mix if you launch early.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Find water deeper than 10’ and troll a 1 oz buck tail in chartreuse or white anywhere north of the bay bridge and you’ll hook up sooner or later.

I would avoid the bay bridge by yourself if it’s your first time. Are you in a pedal or paddle kayak? Or do you have a motor of some sort? Near the bridge you need to be able to steer your kayak in a moments notice. If you have a paddle kayak, and your hands are on your fishing pole, it makes maneuvering in current difficult.
      Native Titan Propel 12
      Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
      Mercury 6hp
      Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
      Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

If you head out of Middle River, make a run towards Pooles. There are fish around Hart Miller, but the lot of them has been towards the eastern shore. They're out there, but they'll be harder to track down by kayak because the large schools are in the main stem. In the next month or so, you'll find a lot more in the rivers, much more easily accessible via kayak.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

Don,

Welcome to the forum.

You're not alone in thinking a visit to the Bay Bridge is required to catch stripers. Many folks new to tidal kayak fishing think that's the case. It's definitely not as you've already been advised. Read the many striper threads here and you'll see they are caught in creeks and rivers and near the shorelines of the Bay itself on both sides of the Bay Bridge. There is a seasonal component to their presence in various waters, especially for legal-sized fish, but right now all the major waterways of the Chesapeake hold them, some more than others, of course. Chances are that you can find them trolling or casting from northern portions of the Bay to the south.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I bought a ocean kayak prowler 13 just for trying to catch striped from surf and bay. It is a paddle yak but I take it on the Susquehanna so i know all about quick maneuvering. Iv spent well over 2500 in the past 2 years trying to get my first legal striper lol now that i look at it. That's pretty bad lol.

Comment

Don,

It's too bad you missed last week's M&G at Lowes Wharf. Your striper deficit surely would have ended on that outing.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Unfortunately i would have had to work. Is there a sub forum I could post at to see if anyone would like to meet up Saturday to fish?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishguts430 View Post
                  Unfortunately i would have had to work. Is there a sub forum I could post at to see if anyone would like to meet up Saturday to fish?
                  Don,

Just post in the Main Forum that you like would like to go out, the general location where you would like to launch and a proposed date. Someone in that area and free on that date may reply on the forum or they may send you a Private Message.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Thanks mark

Comment

Coming from York start fishing the Susquehanna below conawingo dam to deer creek. There is a nice launch north of Port Deposit ... the river always holds stripers and check for when the gate are open since the are more active when they have move gates open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X