Downs Park - Sunday 7/29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downs Park - Sunday 7/29

I am taking a sightseeing tour with my wife, but she is a slow patient paddler, and I always get in some fishing while we are sightseeing. Any advice on where to go, other than the usual (look for structure, rip rap, phragmits, etc.? Would love to get into some perch, and if I luck upon a schoolie or two, even better. We are likely to stay in the protected parts of the creeks rather than head to open water.

Any insight is appreciate!

Steve

By the way, if any of you are around the area on Sunday, I paddle a Wilderness Systems Ride 115 in Dusk (orange/grey) - come and say hello.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Hey Steve,

My daughter and I were down there last Friday(7/20). We put in at the new Locust Cove launch at end thend of Bodkin Creek. We managed to get 5 Catfish and 4 whiteperch. Very easy paddle and nice launch site.

Springer

Comment

Steve,

Boat traffic may be high on Sunday if the weather is nice so you may want to avoid crossing the main stem of the Bodkin. However, you will still have a lot of protected water for fishing and sightseeing if you hug the right shoreline as you leave the Locust Cove launch. In fact, if you follow that shoreline all the way to the Patapsco River, you will have paddled almost 2 miles. It's scenic with areas of natural shoreline, huge estates on the main creek, osprey nests and lots of geese.

As you depart the launch, you will pass through a densely populated area with many piers. There's a small cut to the left about half way through the 1/2 mile passage to the Bodkin. That little cut often holds perch. It's worth a visit. Then continue up the passage to the Bodkin while hugging the right shoreline. There are certain areas along that path that always produce a perch or two. Look for overhanging trees or shaded bulkheads.

When you reach the Bodkin, go about 1/4 of a mile toward the Patapsco River. You'll see an osprey nest (one of many) on a post. But this one is in the creek, not near the bank. The shoreline is shallow near that nest. If it's low tide, you may have to pass to the left of the nest to avoid grounding. As you pass the nest on the right there is a bay as large as a football field. It's a good place to fish with all the structures you mentioned plus downed wood. It also may offer protection from the wind. It's not uncommon to see schools of baitfish in that bay. I've done well there.

Follow the shoreline slowly around the entire perimeter of the bay and as you come out you will have to go around a long dock. From that dock to the Patapsco is about 4/10s of a mile. It can be dicey there depending on wind and fetch. But that's the most likely spot on this route for stripers at this time of year.

If/after you reach the Patapsco you can retrace your path back to the launch. Or if boat traffic and wind allows, you can cross the Bodkin and come down the other side back toward the ramp. You will have paddled between 3.5 and 4.5 miles.

You might want to take a Google Earth look at the area before you go. You'll clearly see the route I've suggested. There's a lot of water to explore from the new Downs launch. I've visited much of it but there's one entire creek I haven't been in yet.

Capture.DownsLaunch.jpg

Good luck,
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Mark, very thorough post, as always! Looks like any water we paddle in this weekend is going to be stained.
        2015 Hobie Revolution 13
        2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
        X