Dodging showers for a few perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodging showers for a few perch

I was itchy to get some time on the water today, but did not want to face and thunderstorms or heavy showers. I watched the regional weather radar on weather.com. It appeared that the skies would be clear from about 1:30 to 3:30.

It was very sunny when I left home about 1:35. By the time I arrived at the Tucker St launch 10 mins later, the skies were sunny to the north but threatening to the south. I launched into very high water and began fishing nearby. A few minutes later, the skies opened up into a 5-min downpour. I was able to sit under the Ridgely Ave bridge during the rain and stay dry. After the shower, I proceeded upstream (water got murkier as I went). 15 mins later, I faced another shower. This time I was very near a tree with overhanging branches. I was able to stay underneath the branches and remain mostly dry.

Between 1:45 and 3:15, I caught 12 perch in water that looked pretty murky. I had a relatively small blade on my Bignose spinner. I suspect that if I had used a spinner with a larger blade (Stu makes them with blades of different size and color) or some other lure that put out a lot of vibration and noise, I might have attracted somewhat more interest. Out of curiosity, I made a few casts with a Gulp swimming mullet to see if the perch would react to scent -- they did not.

Just as I returned to the launch, the rain began again. I quickly slid my kayak into the back of the minivan, closed the hatch, and jumped into the driver's seat before getting very wet. It was pouring when I left Tucker St, but after less than a mile of driving, it was clear and sunny again.

I may try a few other quick-hitting perch trips during the week if I can find a 2-hour gap in harsh weather.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I like to use a Green and Chartreuse blade in murky water, Gold in clearish water.
    Size 2 or 3. #2 runs a little deeper, #3 which is larger, puts out a little more vibration.
    But my most successful skirt color is almost always green chartreuse.

Comment

Lots of furious downpours in the Dena today. No clearings on our radar! No end in sight either.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Water clarity in outer Weems Creek and in the main Severn this morning was pretty decent. In upper Weems and in the cove near Manresa, water clarity was not very good. I caught perch this morning in cleaner water in Weems and near rip rap in the main river but also in high stained water in the back end of a tidal creek. The perch are hungry -- if you can toss something to them that makes enough noise to get their attention, you are likely to catch a few. In 2.5 hours this morning, I caught 20 perch on a Bignose spinner and trolled up a 21.5" striper on a 1/2-oz jighead and 4" white Shadzilla plastic (with the fat belly it looks very much like the peanut bunker that are in the river now). The Shadzilla is the middle plastic lure in this photo.

001.jpg

Despite all the rainfall, I found very little floating plant debris to snag my trolled lures. And for once, the weather predictors were on target -- no rain until noon. I got home at 11:45. Shortly after I unloaded it started drizzling.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yep. The forecasters got it right. The sky is loading up here again as I type. My sump pump is on overdrive during this wettest MD July on record.

Congrats on getting out between the raindrops and on the hookups.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

More power to you, John. Glad to hear the fish are still biting...but I am waiting until tomorrow afternoon... fishing until dark on a falling tide...it is too long a drive to get rained out...figure the evening top water bite just might be epic after all the fresh water coming down...and who knows? Might even get a speckled trout or Redfish...everything is so late coming...the flounder are biting, but undersized...last year I missed one being a legal keeper by a half inch...and this is anything but like last year...
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-25-2018, 06:37 PM.
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
            X