Six species - light tackle fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six species - light tackle fun

I woke early this morning and checked the weather. I saw no rain during the morning and decided to make a spur-of-the-moment trip to some spots I had not visited in a while. I drove 45 mins from Annapolis to Centreville, MD and launched into the upper end of the tidal Corsica River. The launch ramp is directly across from Chris Dollar's kayak shop. [As a side note, if you use that ramp, do not park near the ramp. Instead look for the other parking lot just past the playground. I got a warning ticket for parking in the wrong place on a previous visit].

I began casting a Bignose spinner on an ultralight rod to the shoreline across from the launch and caught several white perch and my first yellow perch in a while. I caught two 15" stripers nearby on the same rod. Later I trolled out the river toward the Chester for at least half a mile. Just about when I was ready to stop and begin shoreline casting again, two medium rods with 1/2-oz jigheads and paddletails went down yielding a pair of 18"-20" stripers.

After 2.5 hours, I returned to the launch feeling satisfied that I had had a productive morning. On the way back to the Bay Bridge I detoured to Wye Mills and launched my kayak in the Wye Mills Pond. Usually I struggle to find crappie here, but today I found plenty of them that hit a 2" twistertail on a 1/8-oz jighead worked very slowly on an ultralight rod. I caught two bluegills on the same lure. My final fish of the day was a 12" largemouth bass that smashed the Bignose spinner.

I threw a RatLTrap quite a bit today at both locations and had no hits on it.

I got home in time for lunch and had a great time this morning catching six species of fish. My 11' Native Manta Ray slides in and out of the back of my Toyota Sienna minivan making launching and loading quick and easy. Both locations today had hard ramps. I was able to park near the top end of the ramps and slide the boat into the water without using a cart.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Great job, J.A.! Wait--no pictures?!
    Al

Comment

Originally posted by Magothyman View Post
      Great job, J.A.! Wait--no pictures?!
      Al
      I have been cutting back on photos. Unless I catch a particularly interesting species or something that is larger than usual, I release the fish as quickly as possible. I already have a good library of fish photos for all the local species.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great report - there's always time to stop at just one more place!
        2015 Hobie Revolution 13
        2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Good report John. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          -manny

Hobie Outback
          Wilderness Systems 130T
          Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Working...
          X