CNRs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNRs

Launching from Romancoke this past weekend. I caught a bunch of short stripers and pulled the hook on a couple keeper size on the side of the kayak. However, I got my work out from hooking up with 3 CNRs that day. I got one of them on video. Two of them broke off, but the second one I had it on a rod with 40lb braid with no leader. I could not break it off. I supposed I could just cut the line but i had a nice jig tied on, and I wanted it back. My friend tried to help me unhooking it. Man oh man we both got soaked when it was trashing and splashing in between our kayaks. It was a fun memory but I hope I won't encounter them again anytime soon.

OP, you need to train yourself not to grab at braid. It can really do a number to you and the pathogens in the water could cause serious illness. Keep a knife on your PFD and just cut the line. Lure retrieval is not worth your life.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
      OP, you need to train yourself not to grab at braid. It can really do a number to you and the pathogens in the water could cause serious illness. Keep a knife on your PFD and just cut the line. Lure retrieval is not worth your life.
      I was using gloves when I grabbed the braid one. But you’re right. These CNRs are so powerful. Next time I would definitely just cut the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You don't need to cut the line.

Here's a trick John Veil taught me:

As soon as you hookup and know it's a ray, point your rod directly at the ray so there is no bend in the rod. Hold the drag with one hand so your reel cannot release line. Then pull with your other hand, or just let the ray pull. Your line will quickly snap, normally at the leader/lure connection. That will save you from cutting your expensive braid. At the worst you may have to retie a leader to your line if the leader breaks at the knot where you connected it to the braid. But most of the time, the leader will give way at the lure and you can simply retie a lure and get back to fishing fast.

Also, by keeping the ray at a distance, you will not get splashed or risk getting pierced by it.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

As soon as you hookup and know it's a ray, point your rod directly at the ray so there is no bend in the rod. Hold the drag with one hand so your reel cannot release line. Then pull with your other hand, or just let the ray pull. Your line will quickly snap, normally at the leader/lure connection. That will save you from cutting your expensive braid. At the worst you may have to retie a leader to your line if the leader breaks at the knot where you connected it to the braid. But most of the time, the leader will give way at the lure and you can simply retie a lure and get back to fishing fast.

Also, by keeping the ray at a distance, you will not get splashed or risk getting pierced by it.
          Thank you Mark! I’ll try that trick next time I tangle with these beasts.

Comment

I know first hand about braided line cuts from landing CNRs. Not fun.

I’ve been fortunate not to hook any of them this year.
            Native Titan Propel 12
            Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
            Mercury 6hp
            Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
            Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

I want to clarify one item in Mark's technique description. He suggests that you "hold the drag" (I am not sure what he means by the drag). I place my hand on the spool to keep it from rotating. Otherwise the description is accurate. The same technique works if you are snagged on the bottom and cannot retrieve your lure. Generally the line breaks at the lure/leader connection or the line/leader connection. If you point the rod tip directly toward the snag or the ray, you stand very low risk of breaking a rod tip.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

There is nothing like a CNR to test your knot tying skills...I usually pop off soft plastic swimbait and jigheads...not my XRaps...if the CNR is hooked up to my hardbaits, sorry, they are headed to the beach...and some surgery...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  There is nothing like a CNR to test your knot tying skills...I usually pop off soft plastic swimbait and jigheads...not my XRaps...if the CNR is hooked up to my hardbaits, sorry, they are headed to the beach...and some surgery...
                  Definitely has to be at the beach. I can’t imagine unhooking treble hooks with them on the side of the kayak.

Comment

Does anyone eat CNR?? There are several Youtube videos showing how to cook them.
                    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Working...
                    X