9/4 Weems Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/4 Weems Creek

Today I took my wife out for a paddle of Weems creek and we packed lunch to have on the water. It was a beautiful day and I've never paddled up in Weems creek so it was cool to see new water. My wife didn't want to fish but she said I could if I wanted so I brought my ultra light and some of my favorite road runner perch jigs. I caught about 15-20 white perch, 1 bluefish and 1 Striper. The bluefish and Striper were babies, but some of the Perch were up to 11". I also tried sight fishing for some large needlefish while standing on my yak and had two strike but they didnt stay on. I swear one of them was almost 2 feet long! Another good time on the water. Sorry we didnt take any pics...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

I'm glad you had a good day in Weems. That is the water body I fish most often from my kayak. You did well to catch 3 species and hook the needlefish. If you saw a long slender fish with a pointy jaw that was nearly two feet long, perhaps you saw/hooked a chain pickerel. They are in there. For ID purposes, here is a 22" pickerel I caught in a tidal creek not far from Weems last winter.

The only needlefish I have seen anywhere in the Severn for the past few years are small ones -- generally less than one foot.

Regardless of which species it was, you did quite well.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I've caught pickerel in loch raven and magothy, these were definately needlefish. I saw atleast a dozen of them today just swimming along the top of the water. Yep most of them were only 8-10 inches. I was cruising along looking for them on top and at one point I saw three of them together that were all pretty big. I threw my jig and woud it by them fast and the big one struck out but like I said didnt stay on. Needlefish are much skinnier than pickeral and the pattern on the pickerel is unmistakeable.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

I went again to Weems creek today on a crabbing/fishing trip. However, this time I went out to the main river. I had six traps and only caught about 6 keeper crabs in them the whole time I was out there. The lack of production from the traps was made up for with netting doublers off of pilings. I must have netted atleast a dozen today and might have missed half as many. Several of the doublers were too small, but I brought home 14 nice keeper Jimmys. I also caught about 15 white perch and brought home five . One of the Perch was a beauty at 12". I didnt see any needlefish today, but I did catch a few small Stripers again with the biggest about 8".
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Where are you guys putting in for Weems?
          2012 Hobie Revo 13'
          2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Tucker St in Annapolis...
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

The Tucker St. launch is a sweet one. FYI, it's a community launch and technically for local use.

I've never been challenged about launching my kayak there and people have always been nice to me. In part this is so because I think the creek receives frequent use by transient boaters who lay up there for a few nights at a time, thus the locals are used to seeing some unfamiliar faces. I haven't been so kindly received at other community launch sites on the Severn, however. My advice to keep everything harmonious with the Tucker St. residents is to be courteous to everyone and be sure to park way up the street so as not to congest parking at the base of the street in any way that might inconvenience the homeowners that are adjacent to the launch site.

Comment

I've only launched there a few times and everyone there always seems to be very friendly. I always park a little ways up the street and agree that this is a good idea.
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Yes...trying to remain vitrually unnoticed is critical to this launch. Park up the street, and keep my presence at the launch to a minimum. Don't bother the residents (though they dont seem to mind) and they don't bother us. Its a wonderful asset to be able to use. If you live in Annapolis, you're good. The sign says "Annapolis Residents Only". My game plan upon challenge was to say that I live in Annapolis. Don't need to show some random person ID. But fortunately, use of this launch hasnt been an issue.
                  <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Thanks guys.
                    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

The biggest issue with using that ramp is trailers -- not a problem for most kayakers. It is illegal to park a trailer anywhere in West Annapolis (not just on Tucker St.) without having a sticker on your trailer. The stickers are available from the Annapolis city government and will be issued only to residents of the city. I have an Annapolis mailing address, but it is not within the official city limits. Therefore, I am unable to obtain a sticker for my power boat trailer and cannot launch it there.

Use of the ramp without parking a trailer is somewhat of a grey zone. As the other posters have indicated, if you treat the local residents politely, do not make excessive noise or leave trash behind, there should not be any problem. It is a great resource for kayakers.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                      X