First Mattawoman Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Mattawoman Trip

I took my first trip to Mattawoman yesterday with my friend-Mark Bange. We chartered Capt. Dave Snellings (Indian Head Charters Inc.) for a late afternoon/evening trip. We arrived at Slavins Dock at 3 and was greeted to a late lunch of ribs, chicken, Gator Aide/Water. Mark seems to be enjoying the tailgating.
    2018-08-04 14.53.25.jpg
    After the feast, we loaded onto the boats and headed up Mattawoman Creek. Capt. Mike Starrett was in the other boat with its customers.
    2018-08-04 15.11.58.jpg 2018-08-04 15.26.51.jpg
    It was hot yesterday as we headed out, so sun protection was in order. Capt. Dave has the full protection. Plenty of cold water/gator aides were brought as we constantly hydrated.
    2018-08-04 15.18.43.jpg
    We started out fishing for Snakeheads-throwing Frogs on med-heavy rods. Since this was my first time at this, I needed a little instruction as to where to put the frog. We spent about 3+hours fishing the lily pads and edges. I had two nice blowups, but no hookups. Mark had one. Sadly no Snakeheads today. I guess because I had a cooler in the car ready for some nice filets, I probably jinxed the trip! About 6:30, we switched from Snakeheads to Bass-throwing small poppers along the edges. Mark landed 3, the first being about a 3 pounder.
    2018-08-04 18.49.42.jpg
    Later in the evening, he even caught a Blue Channel Cat on a popper.
    About 8:45 we called it a day. Notice no pictures of me holding a fish-I was skunked. I was disappointed, but really enjoyed the trip, would do it again, but in June not August. If you have never tried this fishing and would like a guide, Indian Head Charters are great ( $275 for two plus food & water). Highly recommend these guys. Check out Indian Head Charters Inc. you won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by J. Rentch; 08-05-2018, 08:09 AM.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

John,

You're not a jinx!

There are two things very true about snakeheads:

1. They have not taken over the ecosystem as first feared.

2. They are darned hard to catch.

And remember. Never discount the factor of luck on any fishing outing.

Note that the second boat on this charter boated no snakeheads either.

However, there are some very nice bass at Mattwoman. The snakeheads certainly have not eaten them out of existence.

I was also surprised by the blue cat on topwater. I've caught lots of channel cats on lures but never one on top. Those blue cats must indeed be as aggressive as folks say.

And yes, the ribs and chicken were worth the drive!
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Sorry you did not get a snakehead. Hopefully you will get one next time.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
      X