A less than stellar trip in the OC Inlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A less than stellar trip in the OC Inlet

It's been awhile since I've contributed a fishing report. It's actually been a while since I've gone out fishing. I've made three crabbing trips recently in the coastal bays and have done very well, but the call to wet a line has been getting strong. So when the opportunity to get out this past Saturday presented itself, I made a run out the OC Inlet to try the south jetty.

The main target was sheepshead. I had live sand fleas and frozen peelers I had caught and saved from my last crabbing trip. It was mid-morning by the time I got out there and the current was just starting in. I pulled up a few toads the first couple drops and then nothing for the rest of the day until I called it quits late afternoon. Brutal! I wasn't even getting hits from tiny black sea bass. The only decent fish I saw caught all day was a boater that picked up a 27" black drum.

The water started out clean but quickly got dirty from the stiff SW breeze and I don't think that helped. Plus, as expected for a Saturday, boat traffic was very heavy. The offshore shore boats were piling in all day. Must be a big fishing tournament this week ? If anybody has plans to kayak fish the inlet this week, just be mindful it's WMO week, and expect a lot of big wakes! 3 footers from a single boat is easy enough, but 3 or 4 offshore boats coming in together gets dicey.

Hopefully I'll have a better report next time
    Brian

Thanks for the report, we are heading down the last week of August - i'll be sending you a PM closer to that date.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Glad you got to get out... I also just had a dry spell.. didn't go out all of July.

WMO.. watching it now..
      What you should do.. is get a fish flag, similar to the ones the boats use to designate their catch...
      and one of those small air horns..
      And come into Harbor Island marina.. blasting your horn.. before the last turn and nobody can see you...
      and paddle in..
      And up to dock where the scales are..
      And hold up a stringer of perch..
      Well.. it's some thing I always wanted to do... :-)

Comment

You would probably get huge applause, and probably become and internet sensation or get on TV.
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I'll do it wearing a gorilla suit too.

That would be damn funny though.
          Brian

Comment

Working...
          X