Solomon's Island and Cedar Point 08/11/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solomon's Island and Cedar Point 08/11/18

Put in at Solomon’s, ramp below Rt. 4 Bridge. Fished the usual places around Solomon’s, i.e rock shorelines, Point Patience, the MD U research Pier. Picked a few shorts, a blowfish. Headed over to the rockpile off Cedar Point (outside the Pax River). (See Pics. Hooper’s Island in the background). Conditions were right, thought the area would be a lot better than it was. Bunch of shorts, that’s it. No reds, flounder or blues.

08112.JPG08113.JPG8111.JPG
    Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
    Predator 13

Yeah, this has been our experience too...other than a decent year catching striped bass and White Perch, it has been a huge disappointment of a summer...June and July was a blah...and August?

The fall season is usually the highlight of the year...but this year? We have never seen weather like we have had this year...at least in my memory...the more I target speckled trout and Redfish in their normal haunts, the more frustration I have...so maybe I will stop beating a dead horse and enjoy a really good white perch fishery...nice big, fat, tasty white perch...

Got bitten by a small deer tick in a hard to find place a month ago...Lyme sucks...achy joints like they are broken and filled with gravel...headaches like a 20 penny nail driven through the skull, and completely drained of energy...makes loading and unloading your kayak nearly impossible...and casting a rod hurts...shoulders don’t want to work...so I am more than halfway through my 14 days of prescription Doxycycline and feeling better, but I wouldn’t wish this on anyone...hopefully I will be able to get back on the water soon..
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-13-2018, 07:23 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
      Yeah, this has been our experience too...other than a decent year catching striped bass and White Perch, it has been a huge disappointment of a summer...June and July was a blah...and August?

The fall season is usually the highlight of the year...but this year? We have never seen weather like we have had this year...at least in my memory...the more I target speckled trout and Redfish in their normal haunts, the more frustration I have...so maybe I will stop beating a dead horse and enjoy a really good white perch fishery...nice big, fat, tasty white perch...

Got bitten by a small deer tick in a hard to find place a month ago...Lyme sucks...achy joints like they are broken and filled with gravel...headaches like a 20 penny nail driven through the skull, and completely drained of energy...makes loading and unloading your kayak nearly impossible...and casting a rod hurts...shoulders don’t want to work...so I am more than halfway through my 14 days of prescription Doxycycline and feeling better, but I wouldn’t wish this on anyone...hopefully I will be able to get back on the water soon..
      Ron - Sorry to hear that you are suffering from Lyme Disease. Hang in there. Hopefully the medications will do their job.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

What did you catch the blowfish on?

Comment

Wow Ron.. sorry to here about that.. best wishes to getting better.

Comment

Blowfish is always a by-catch...usually on squid or bloodworm double bottom rigs with number 6 Carlyle hooks fishing for spot and croakers...believe or not I have actually caught one on 3 inch swimming mullet Gulp flounder fishing...and thanks for the well wishes....planning on trying to get out with the SMOG crew later this week...fingers crossed...

Comment

Originally posted by Kubishark View Post
              What did you catch the blowfish on?
              Jigging the pier piling with 4" gulp shad.
              Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
              Predator 13

Comment

Sorry about your condition Ron. Tough to diagnose from what understand. So at least you have that part figured out. Get well.
                Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                Predator 13

Comment

Ron, sorry to hear about the Lyme. It just adds to the insult of a bad season on the bay.

Comment

A bad season on the bay...We are spoiled...I’ll admit it..I am so used to so much success that I take it for granted I am going to catch a bunch of nice fish...if you think we have problems, (and we do) look at the poor charter industry along the red tide coast in Florida today...they have a genuine disaster on their hands...Miles of bloated dead fish stinking up the bays and beaches from the alge bloom...and tourism is their livelihood

Comment

I fished deep, I fished shallow, I jigged, I trolled, I EVEN USED LIVE BAIT (which I NEVER do). I fished for blues, I fished for Spanish macks, I fished for stripers, I fished for perch. I fished drop offs, flats, bumps, pilings, and rocks. I’ve never seen so much bait and fish on my fish finder. Yet, I caught NOTHING!

Strangest day I’ve ever had.
                      Native Titan Propel 12
                      Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
                      Mercury 6hp
                      Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
                      Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Ron,

Hope you feel better soon. The fish hope you stay off the water but we hope you're back out there loading, unloading and casting pain free.

Comment

Looks like I was not alone at Cedar Point.

bull.jpg
                          Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                          Predator 13

Comment

Feel better Ron, you are not missing much. The white perch bite and striper bite have been good, however, the crabbing for the most part except for a few exceptions have not been great.
                            MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                            2016 Hobie Outback LE
                            Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Solomon's Island and Cedar Point 08/11/18

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post
                              Looks like I was not alone at Cedar Point.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24063[/ATTACH]
                              Yep, a fully mature male Bull Shark caught at the mouth of the Pax River...about as big as male Bull sharks gets...females get bigger...and thanks again, Moc, et al...the SMOG crew got together yesterday for three hours...all I could do, but I did get out for a while...and we caught fish...
                              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-16-2018, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X