Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A windy Wednesday.. a good Vibe...

A windy Wednesday.. a good Vibe...

It was my second outing on my new Vibe Sea Ghost 130...
    I have many times stated here... just get out there and do it..

A windy Wednesday.. a good Vibe......
    Well I awoke at 1:30am.. after a nice 4hour sleep...
    Weather NOAA reports had Wednesday at 5-10mph.. but other reports said it wouldn't be so.
    And that held true.. checking my buoy webpage.. (some of you know it).. well winds were blowing.

I crossed the great divide... and I was hit by a blast of air coming through the open windows...
    my first taste of the early morning... I checked the windward side... and it was crazy...
    Post trip... I checked the winds... 16-18mph with plus 20mph... YIKES...
    Although on a hot summer morning... it did feel good... not so much for yaking.

I worked my way to the leeward side checking on place... and I knew I could catch perch there if at all else...
    But moved down to a point further south... at that had plenty of nice amenities..
    I spoke to some local guys fishing... and they said the wind had picked up through the night..
    It was good for casting for them as it was a westy.. and as it is a fav place.. I unloaded.

The sun was rising.... the wind protected shores beautiful... some fish splashing in the lagoon.
    I tossed some perch lures out before launch.. nothing but it was fun anyway.

I paddled out about a mile... and well... wind protected shores were long gone...
    And I knew... if I got much further out... and it would rage as I had earlier inspected on the windward side.
    Although... winds were expected to kick down after 2pm... and.. well as originally planned..
    the winds would have just blown me there.. but I had already been up since 1:30am...
    and if and what would happen that time of day... I decided to make it shorter of a day.. plans
    to back at launch by 1pm...

So... I paddled back in close to shore.. huge the shore line wind protected.. and perch it...
    It was an area I had not explored before... which always adds to the expericence...
    I did catch a 15inch rockfish... when exploring deep waters.. the week before I had caught lots of schoolies
    chasing birds... so the new yak got a good slime then.

Moving along.. the shoreline.. well it wasn't really perch territory.. not much shade and lots of flat water..
    I got some tugs tossing out to 8ft of water... the docks I hit.. well.. still lots of sun.. I ducked into areas but even in these areas lots of wind and 5ft of water.
    I am no perch expert.. but these areas sure weren't feelin' it... but that's ok..
    I am on the water exploring and learning a new area.

Not really "feeling it" for the area.. and it was time to head back.. I went out to deeper water..
    Following varying depths of 10ft to 30ft... the sweet spot for baitfish was at 20ft.
    And I followed these twist and turns... my kind of territory.

At about 20minutes from launch I was rewarded with a nice tug.. and my first keeper on the new Yak.
    Caught on a blueish white paddle tail soft plastic.. maybe a bluefish look a like.
    No monster.. but some dinner :-)

I'll conclude this very long story.. with many thanks to John, Mark, Ron, and others to post their adventures.
    Keeping the spirit alive here.

Mahalo..
    Rob.
    Last edited by rob-kayak; 08-20-2018, 07:13 AM.

Congrats on 'christening' the new boat!!!
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Nice fish! I was out in my Sea Ghost on Saturday, which turned out to be a gorgeous morning. I found quite a few schoolies scattered in 4-7 feet of water, but none with any real size to them. Glad you were able to find a keeper!
      Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Working...
      X