1st outing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st outing question

So as my kayak is all wired and ready to go, and the weather tomorrow looks good I figure it will be time to try the bay for the 1st time. I figure its going to be busy on the water. So I was wondering is there a quieter piece of water out there with solid access? I really dont care if I get into many fish, just need a good shake down and to not get wiped out by a party boat. I was thinking Romancoke, does that seem wise?

I haven't been there in a while, but from what I recall, there isn't a lot of current there and the water isn't too deep.

I bought a Hobie last month, and for my first trip, I went about 2-3 miles out to the middle of the bay bridge, basically at the channel. I wouldn't fish for a long time in the channel because the waves were definitely bigger in the middle of the bay, but the currents weren't too bad for me in general, so I suspect that Romancoke would be safe- I'll defer to other members though, as I'm relatively new to kayaking (while I've fished all my life). So far, I've been to the Bay Bridge twice, caught the usual stripers and launched off Cape Henlopen Pier/ Beach a couple of weeks ago - was going for fluke but ended up with an 11 inch throwback sea trout while drifting a white gulp shad.

Comment

sorry didn't see this post till this morning..
      Romancoke would be fine.. be careful the ramp is slippery.
      Not knowing where you are traveling from.. other places might be closer.

Romancoke gets "deep" out past the pier-->white buoy.. 20ft at .3mile and 30ft about .5mile .
      A strong east and or northeast wind can make the launch unfavorable as waves kick up on the beach.
      The bathrooms are well maintained.. there is a water spigot, and an outdoor shower.
      Boat traffic can be moderate in the middle of the bay there... but not much close to shore.
      Trot liners occasionally work their lines out front of the pier in about 15ft-20ft of water.. so if that is the case just be mindful of their lines so you don't snag your fishing line.

You might also try Shipping Creek launch.. nice but doesn't have the amenities as Romancoke. Probably find more perch there.. it is on the way to Romancoke.. so you can check it out along the way.
      There is Cabin Creek launch.. down the road from Kent Narrows.. and plenty of perch there also... and not very deep until you get out to the channel between Parson's Island. Which can be fun to circumnavigate and is nice scenery.
      And numerous others down Kent Island area..
      Here is a link to launches you might find helpful...
      https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...480558591&z=11
      Bottom left is the icon for "street view" which I find is better than satellite view.

Hope you were able to get out.
      Tight lines :-)

Comment

im in Columbia, so of course i prefer not to cross the bridge on busy days.

I did have fun today though. Caught my 1st striper, Flounder, spot, blue crab and cow nose ray. Lots of fish on the graph but they didn't like me. I had many a tail bitten off a lure though. and they ray broke me. I needed help getting my kayak back on the subaru.

Comment

Originally posted by UBkevy View Post
          im in Columbia, so of course i prefer not to cross the bridge on busy days.
          Sounds like you had an interesting day.

If you do not want to cross the Bay Bridge many of these sites in Anne Arundel County offer kayak access to protected tidal waters:

https://www.aacounty.org/services-an...op-boat-launch

They are frequently mentioned in fishing reports on this forum.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
          X