Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone want to go fishing early later tonight/ early tomorrow morning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone want to go fishing early later tonight/ early tomorrow morning?

I'm new to this site and new to kayaking, but I've always been an avid fisherman- I've been out three times (only interested in saltwater).
    I'm looking to do either some night fishing tonight (maybe Solomons Island, hightide is around 830PM- launch from park) or maybe hit Rt 90 bridge in OC early morning for some fluke. I've never tried those places in a yak before. Preferably, I'd like to catch nice fluke this year. I went to Sandy Point State Park,launched from boat ramp, Thurs night and caught nada- I was the only yakker out that night, plenty of boats, and no one seemed to be catching anything- I had unlimited action on stripers a couple of weeks before that at the pilings near the channel. Anyhow, let me know if anyone is interested in going out- I want to get out at least one more time before the kids go back to school this Tuesday.

Did you go out and how did you do?

Comment

I went out this past Monday- got to Solomons around 430AM. Although I was planning to just fish lures, I got a dozen bloodworms and some peelers. I launched out of the boat ramp and peddled out to some old stomping grounds, namely the old pier across the bridge- fished the channels and by the dock- managed to pull up a small toad fish. As the sun came out, I peddled out towards the bay, staying mostly on the middle and northern ends of the Patuxent- was thinking about heading out to the Bay, but I would've been facing the incoming tide, and I was pretty tired from roasting out in the sun all day. Anyhow, I fished in front of the church off the Solomons boardwalk and landed a couple of spot after not having any luck on lures. I caught a small spot and live lined it while trolling towards the bay- I didn't think anything of the spot until I heard my bait caster scream while going around a sandy point along the norther side of the river. I picked up the rod and started to reel in, but then my line snapped off- I had a snap swivel on tied to a swivel with 3 feet of mono , and the fish just completely bent the swivel. At first, I thought it might have been a stripper, but, after trying to live line that area again (but the other spot I had were much bigger), I think it might have been a big fluke because I ended up catching a baby fluke on one of my several drifts in the same area, and the bottom was mostly sandy- however, at the point, there was considerable tides caused by the drop off and water moving around the point- there wasn't much structure there, so that's why I'm thinking it might have been a fluke and because I caught that baby fluke- I don't know for sure. However, I will never be lazy again and tie a barrel swivel to a snap swivel when live lining a spot.

I ended up with ten spot, a puffer fish, toad fish, baby flounder, and a hand-sized striper. I caught most of the fish in 2-4 ft of water, and that's where the big fish hit as well- the spot were generally small, about the size of your hand, and I left the bite there because I ran out of worms- nothing hit on the frozen peelers. I think by late Sept/ Oct, the spot will be bigger, and maybe some bigger strippers will be swimming in as well. I fished a lot of deep drop-offs to 60ft plus, but I didn't have any serious bites in those depths of water. I dont have a fish finder yet, so I was relying upon my i-boating nautical App that I paid for- it's generally accurate in terms of it showing you what the water depths are.

I want to catch a doormat before Summer is over but ditched the idea of going to OC/ DE this past weekend because of all the labor day traffic. I definitely like fishing Solomons over the Bay Bridge though because the water is definitely cleaner down there. I noticed the past couple of times I launched out of Sandy Point, my legs were a little slimy when going into the ramp area, and that whole area smells like dead fish.

Comment

I know a few blues and spanish have been caught not far from that area, so it could've been one of them also that broke you off. Good report, thank you for sharing.

Comment

It definitely wasn’t a Spanish. The fish didn’t cut through my line. I was lazy and tied a barrel swivel with mono leader and gama hook but made mistake of attaching small snap swivel to barrel swivel with leader. I know there aren’t many flounders in that area, but there definitely are more flounders there than there are at the bay bridge for sure since it’s closer to the ocean and of saltier water. Considering soft structure and since there were schools of blues around, weren’t chasing the spot that I could see, I think it might’ve been a big stripper or a fluke- the line literally peeled off my reel. I’ve never in my life had a blue take a live lined spot in that fashion. But thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

A flounder was caught in Curtis Creek last week, so they are moving up (which is hard to believe due to limited salinity) or it was "the runt of the litter" and not the smartest flounder
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I’d guess a CNR. Hard to find a striper above 24” right now in our area and all of the flounder we’re catching our hand sized.
              Mike
              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Yes, a ray also makes sense. Haven’t had too many rays take a live spot before though.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowyak View Post
                  I'm new to this site and new to kayaking, but I've always been an avid fisherman- I've been out three times (only interested in saltwater).
                  I'm looking to do either some night fishing tonight (maybe Solomons Island, hightide is around 830PM- launch from park) or maybe hit Rt 90 bridge in OC early morning for some fluke. I've never tried those places in a yak before. Preferably, I'd like to catch nice fluke this year. I went to Sandy Point State Park,launched from boat ramp, Thurs night and caught nada- I was the only yakker out that night, plenty of boats, and no one seemed to be catching anything- I had unlimited action on stripers a couple of weeks before that at the pilings near the channel. Anyhow, let me know if anyone is interested in going out- I want to get out at least one more time before the kids go back to school this Tuesday.
                  Hit me up in the late October and I will go out fishing with you.

Jackson Kraken 15.5
                  Lowrance Hook 2 5

Comment

Originally posted by yellowyak View Post
                    I went out this past Monday- got to Solomons around 430AM. Although I was planning to just fish lures, I got a dozen bloodworms and some peelers. I launched out of the boat ramp and peddled out to some old stomping grounds, namely the old pier across the bridge- fished the channels and by the dock- managed to pull up a small toad fish. As the sun came out, I peddled out towards the bay, staying mostly on the middle and northern ends of the Patuxent- was thinking about heading out to the Bay, but I would've been facing the incoming tide, and I was pretty tired from roasting out in the sun all day. Anyhow, I fished in front of the church off the Solomons boardwalk and landed a couple of spot after not having any luck on lures. I caught a small spot and live lined it while trolling towards the bay- I didn't think anything of the spot until I heard my bait caster scream while going around a sandy point along the norther side of the river. I picked up the rod and started to reel in, but then my line snapped off- I had a snap swivel on tied to a swivel with 3 feet of mono , and the fish just completely bent the swivel. At first, I thought it might have been a stripper, but, after trying to live line that area again (but the other spot I had were much bigger), I think it might have been a big fluke because I ended up catching a baby fluke on one of my several drifts in the same area, and the bottom was mostly sandy- however, at the point, there was considerable tides caused by the drop off and water moving around the point- there wasn't much structure there, so that's why I'm thinking it might have been a fluke and because I caught that baby fluke- I don't know for sure. However, I will never be lazy again and tie a barrel swivel to a snap swivel when live lining a spot.

I ended up with ten spot, a puffer fish, toad fish, baby flounder, and a hand-sized striper. I caught most of the fish in 2-4 ft of water, and that's where the big fish hit as well- the spot were generally small, about the size of your hand, and I left the bite there because I ran out of worms- nothing hit on the frozen peelers. I think by late Sept/ Oct, the spot will be bigger,
                    and maybe some bigger strippers will be swimming in as well.
                    I fished a lot of deep drop-offs to 60ft plus, but I didn't have any serious bites in those depths of water. I dont have a fish finder yet, so I was relying upon my i-boating nautical App that I paid for- it's generally accurate in terms of it showing you what the water depths are.

I want to catch a doormat before Summer is over but ditched the idea of going to OC/ DE this past weekend because of all the labor day traffic. I definitely like fishing Solomons over the Bay Bridge though because the water is definitely cleaner down there. I noticed the past couple of times I launched out of Sandy Point, my legs were a little slimy when going into the ramp area, and that whole area smells like dead fish.
                    medium strippers are more my speed

Comment

That area recently had an eight foot bull shark caught in a net...could have been anything...everything eats live spot...cobia, bull drum, Stripers, Bluefish, Sharks, rays, even flounder...live line spot this time of year usually is medium 20-30 inch striped bass...and even a 20 inch fish can pull hard on its initial run...cheap brass barrel swivels usually fail at far less pounds than their advertised strength..
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I was drifting over about 3-4 feet of water, around a point that had a lot of cross current- my bait caster reel screamed, and due to me using a snap swivel, the line just snapped- I think it could've been a stripper, big fluke (although unlikely in that area), or a cobia. After all this rain this week, I'm thinking of hitting up Solomons this weekend again- do some trolling, live lining, and maybe try to catch some more Spots.

Comment

Working...
                        X