Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Done did gone Perchin... Friday Aug 31st.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Done did gone Perchin... Friday Aug 31st.....

It was time to bring home some snacks... hadn't dedicated a trip to Perchin' in a long time...
    and Labor Day was on the calendar... just had to have some fun.

Traditionally... I would do trips for 4th of July like this... Galesville Warf.. Severn... and bring home snacks of croakers or perch..
    But July didn't pan out to get away..

So Labor Day would be the substitute...
    Launched at Home Port Farm.. and in the summer the "lot" has always been...
    Hot.. hot.. hot...
    So I brought along a pop up canopy... over the car and for the end of the day to be mellow in "my" shade.

Church Creek... well was kinda nasty... not seen it like this... accept for the fall with stuff floating around.
    On the opposite side of the launch was an oil or gas slick that seemed to be coming from a boat on a lift.
    Didn't try too hard fishing for perch in the regular spots... pretty much because the water didn't seem very pretty, and well, probably fished out as the launch is "new and improved". Attracting more people.
    But that's ok.. it's life.

Spent a little time trolling for rock out of the mouth and nearby with my "rock" rigs...
    But it really was a Perchin' trip...

I have many fond memories on the South River.. I used to fish it a lot... and became friends with many boaters in the area and enjoyed seeing them on a regular basis.

Summer time... well I don't go there.. mostly Spring and Fall... too much boat traffic... but it was perchin..
    and worked the creeks...

Got into a hot spot... caught a bunch of perch for the Labor Day fish fry...
    Caught a 12inch Yellow Perch shaped like a bullet.. let that one go. Fun.

Get out... paddle around... have fun !

Nice that you got some perchThanks for the report

Comment

The yellow is a good sign.

Congratulations on a fun and productive outing.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I'm curious, was the yellow caught on a live bait or a spinner?
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

@mchottie
          oh I see how you are... just jump right in on the conversation and you want all my secrets..
          just kidding of course..

no live bait.
          small chartreuse jig head beetle spinner and a mini-salt tube pink head white tail.
          I've used the same goto setup for years with great results.. carrying two perch rods with the other one set up
          as a mini-salt tube white head chartreuse tail (ultraviolet glow).
          I often test my lures with a black light to see if any of them have that "glow".
          And no... I don't have any velvet Elvis Presley wall pictures.
          I get my salt tubes from http://www.arkiejigs.com/Arkie-Salt-...Tubes-p/tu.htm
          I used to get them at Dick's but they don't really carry them anymore.
          This has been my go to setup.. switching rods on each spot to test the fav color of the day.

I wasn't having much luck with the white head/chartreuse tail and swapped it out for a goldish glitter curly tail..
          and that was a big winner for the day.
          It is/was one of kind curly tail in my tacklebox.. don't know where I really got it.. probably Dick's in some little lure package I bought.. may never be known to mankind and fish again..
          Had to snip off the head a little as it got worn out and wouldn't stay on the jig head.

Mr. Twister has something similar.. and I'll be getting some of those...
          Moral of the story... change up your tactics when things aren't working even if you've had great success before.

Happy happy perchin'... "ain't nothin' better than a perch" ...
          ..ceptin' smoked bluefish.

p.s. as told by Mark and John.. not sure which one.. years back.. reel in very slow..
          I put a split shot on the line so I get longer casts.
          Last edited by rob-kayak; 09-04-2018, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X