Oc 8/27 | 8/29 | 8/31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oc 8/27 | 8/29 | 8/31

Went "Down the Ocean" last week with my girlfriends family annual trip. 4 story townhouse condo bay-side with private boat ramp and soft launch. Tried to linkup with SlobberBob but our schedules just didn't align/sync, will try again next month.

Went out 8/27 630AM in the yak above the 90 bridge, didn't realize the bay was SHALLOW my FF max depth was 5-6ft until I got almost 2/3 the way toward Isle of Wight (Navionics webapp shows max depth of 7ft) but I was marking 10-11ft directly in-line with the main 'boat lane' bridge pilings. It was mid-week, only saw 4 CC powerboats and maybe 10-12 small CC or jon-boats, assumed crabbers. Marked good fish but could not pickup any on the troll, nor with fish-bites of all 31 flavors. Cast all around the Isle of Wight public pier, no takers on the spinner. Lost a beetlespin and swapped out to a BigNose spinner, still no luck. I did slide sligh

Packed up 3/4 of the family and went to Assateague 8/29. Caught suntan, and then surf-fishing with double drop rig, imitation shrimp/squid fishbites was the ticket, 8" Blue, 13" Chopper Blue, and 11" Whiting. Two more species I can cross off my fishing bucket list!

Friday 8/31 picked up some heavier tackle, and loaded up 9PM surf-casting into the darkness hoping to have some fun with a toothy critter. Fished from 1030PM-3AM, only a few small bites, nothing landed. Guy farther down said he had some small mackerel and a 2' sand shark. Most eventful part of the evening was oceanfront condo behind us, a few ladies fulfilled a dare and had some topless fun waist deep in the surf at 130AM, followed by ~12 collegiates stumbling too close to our fishing setup, of which we requested they move a bit farther away, and 5 minutes later they lit-up about 3 dozen decent fireworks in the sand, about 45-50ft in the air.

Good Trip overall, family had fun, caught suntan, and nice R&R from my 9-5 desk job which I've returned to for this "short week". Still jealous of all you guys who can fish during the week with minimal boat traffic.

Tight Lines.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Mike,

Adding to your report since I don't have much to warrant an actual report! I was down this weekend. Launched Sunday at Nortside Park, pedaled up to "The Ditch" toward Harpoon Hanna's. Some nice current, with a nice ledge, fished from the little island in the middle. Didn't get a bite jigging bucktails and tandem paddle tails hoping for a flounder - forgot my Gulp swimming mullet! It was a beautiful day to be on the water no matter what.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

We ate at Harpoon Hanna's Friday night... I had the Mediterranean Prime Rim (i.e. topped with Shrimp/LumpCrab/Scallops) and Staceys sisters fiance had the Stuffed Rockfish. Both were AMAZING. I also picked up some tri-swivels from Old Inlet Tackle, to get setup like Steve with the tandem lures.
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
        We ate at Harpoon Hanna's Friday night... I had the Mediterranean Prime Rim (i.e. topped with Shrimp/LumpCrab/Scallops) and Staceys sisters fiance had the Stuffed Rockfish. Both were AMAZING. I also picked up some tri-swivels from Old Inlet Tackle, to get setup like Steve with the tandem lures.
        Funny, I had the Mediterranean Prime Rib yesterday!

I like that tandem rig - doesn't tangle at all, and I thought for sure it would.
        2015 Hobie Revolution 13
        2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I always love reports from "down the O'hun"....
          while I grew back here in the "city"...
          I lived down there for nearly 30 years as a surf dude.. which was my passion until I became an ol'fart Chesapeake dude.
          I worked at Harpoon's for eight years.. good times good people.

Glad you had a good time...
          I used to make pilgrimages from Stinky Beach to North Assateague in my canoe every July... loaded up to the max the gunnel's just out of the water... which included at least one of my dogs.. if not two.
          Camping out there.. a place just away from the ferris wheel in sight... but my own private beach.
          And another annual pilgrimage camping at the south National Park... organizing a cook out for my restaurant friends..
          Thanks for the report brought back memories..
          Glad you got to down the "O' "

Comment

Working...
          X