Old Speckled Hen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Speckled Hen

We’ve been catching some specks lately, but they were random and only one at a time. Today I got 3 in a little over an hour while fishing for them. Worked a 1/8 jig with a light wire hook and chartreuse gulp swimming mullet over grass flats in 2-3’ of water near Piney Point. No size but very encouraging. Saw Gary catch a flounder in the same area, and that was no fluke ( couldn’t help myself).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Thanks for the report, that's great to hear. The bite is picking up down here with a few in the 20-22" range.
    J

Comment

I got an 11 inch trout in Delaware bay a couple of weeks ago while trolling a white gulp shad.

Comment

Hey-where's the beer? Either way, very encouraging report. I may have to go out this evening.
        Tight lines
        Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
        Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
        Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
        Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Originally posted by ski357 View Post
          Hey-where's the beer? Either way, very encouraging report. I may have to go out this evening.
          Only true connoisseurs have sampled this nectar. Can I had was brewed in like 1962, major skunk factor.
          Mike

Comment

So far this year I'm at 2 specks in the lower Potomac. Probably at about three dozen flounder though, which is more than I've ever caught in single season by about two dozen.

Comment

Location is everything -- that is true for finding and catching speckled trout too. Greetings from Tampa. I kayak fished near the mouth of Tampa Bay this morning and caught 17 specks up to 16" during the first two hours after sunrise. The fish were caught on grass flats with 1 to 3 ft water depth. All were caught on 3" Fat Sam mullet paddletails and a 3/16-oz jighead.

The photo shows the smallest one I got today. I show it because that fish has far fewer or fainter spots than a typical speck of that size.

2003-08-09 19-06-59.jpg

I think of specs somewhat like schoolie stripers in the Chesapeake region. They are not too difficult to catch. They are often found in schools allowing multiple fish to get caught. And even at small size, they pull hard on light tackle and are beautiful fish.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good show guys.

I think of Specks as the White Perch of Tampa.

I wish they were as common here. Catching even a few locally is impressive.

They are fun no matter where you hook them.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Three for three...last three trips...no big ones, yet...saw a nice redfish yesterday broach in shallow water chasing minnows, but it refused all my efforts...yes, a Redfish with a spot on its tail...I went back deep into the creeks looking...ended up finding a 20 inch striper, but it was fun on the light spinning tackle...made some decent drag burns...a four species day...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks for the report guys... at least the big freeze last winter didn't totally devastate prospects..
                    Maybe the younger ones had more of a chance...

Well... did one of those should have gone last week.. and now with the hurricane approaching..
                    wish I did although it's just been so hot... took a week off...

Be safe all with the troubled weather coming up..

Comment

The specks got longer today.

20180908_081621.jpg
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice fish John. Has the red tide limited where you’re going this trip?
                        Mike

Comment

The short answer is No. My guide Neil Taylor has a series of launch spots in Tampa Bay and near the mouth of Tampa Bay. The red tide is a major problem on the Gulf coast south of Tampa Bay but not where we were. In fact the water quality and clarity has been excellent, and the amount of bait in the water is exceptional. All three days have produced good catching results -- this morning was outstanding. In four hours of light tackle kayak fishing, I caught about 30 specks to 18", several ladyfish, 10 snook, 2 pompano, and a mangrove snapper. That ranks among the best outings in my five years fishing with Neil.

As the tropical storm passed through southern Florida last week, it seemed to help with the red tide.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis

Comment

John,

Outstanding results today.

Congrats to you and Neil.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

WOW John that 9/8/2018 Speck looks OUTSTANDING!
                              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
                              X