Fishing the Magothy Instead of OBX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing the Magothy Instead of OBX

My trip to Avon, NC, for the upcoming week has been cancelled so I fished my favorite spot on the Magothy on Wednesday, hoping for some rockfish. Tide was way up, but water was clear and virtually no wind at noon. Trolled some drop offs near Ferry Point for 90 minutes and caught 8 very feisty fish between 14 and 20.5 inches. Water temp was 77 degrees. I used the pictured lures and both hooked fish. Hopefully, the forecasted rains won't wash the fish away. Al
    IMG_4627.jpg

I think Magothy vs OBX, you made the right choice for this weekend!
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by gshappell
      Nice! I have some of those diesel minnowz left over from my trip to Fla that I want to try and am glad to hear they catch stripers also. I went out this evening in hunters harbor from shore and had some short strikes and a neighbor caught a 16". Hopefully going out here or in bear creek this weekend if I can get away for a bit.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
      You will find that the Diezel in Opening Night color is VERY popular with snaggedline folks!
      2015 Hobie Revolution 13
      2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

As luck would have it, the hurricane went further south than expected and my OBX realtor emailed and said "Come on down!" We lost one day of the week-long rental, but we're here now and the weather is perfect. I didn't have time/energy to prepare and pack the kayaks but I did bring some fishing rods and tackle. I caught this 19" puppy drum on a chunk of shrimp on the sound-side just north of Buxton by casting in to a drop-off.
        IMG_4678.jpg

Comment

Excellent Magothyman!

I'm headed to Southern Shores/Duck on Sunday and will post some reports if I manage to catch any fish.

Comment

Working...
          X