Bay Bridge Report- late report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge Report- late report

I yakked out of Sandy Point this past Thursday, left work a couple of hours early. I launched around 5PM, it was hot as you know what. Anyhow, I usually just use lures, but lately, I've been buying a dozen of bloodworms because spots are more plentiful this time of year- PS I won't ever buy bloodworms at Anglers again- they charged me before the purchase, which is fine, but after I paid, I got the smallest, skinniest bloodworms I've ever seen from them- I understand that they might save their best bloodworms for their best customers and all, but these worms were so skinny and small that they barely could be wrapped around a hook- I'm not one to complain so I just took the worms. So when went fishing this time, I stopped by the local convenience store and got to choose some nice fatties.

Anyhow, I trolled some lures while making my way out to the channel- no hits whatsoever on my yozuri minnows, even trolled a Spro bucktail with a gulp shad, and no hits on that either- I have to learn more on trolling in a kayak. I stopped by one area on the S side of the bridge, in shallower waters, and caught two small spots pretty quickly- I livelined one while trolling/ stopping, but nothing hit that spot all night. The tide was outgoing when I started, and before the turn to high tide, I managed to stay in one honey hole spot w/o any anchor for 30-minutes or so. I dropped the bloodworms down in about 25 ft of water, and I got instant hits on mostly big perch, started with the pylons on S side of Bay Bridge. I got 10 big perch, threw about 6 back, lost 3 while trying to put them in my box behind me. For about an hour, the fishing was non-stop, and I managed to also get a 14 inch stripper on bloodworm too at this spot; however, once the tide finally changed to incoming, around same time sun was going down, the bite all of a sudden just died down here.

I made another move to the pylons on the N side of the bridge shortly after and had immediate hits - this time I caught a small toadfish, a channel catfish, and a couple of more small perch that I threw back- I'll try posting the catfish one, since there seems to be some kind of catfish fraternity- caught all on the dozen of bloodworms I bought- I don't eat cats so I let it go. Also, I caught a very small stripper, the size of my hand, there as well.

While paddling, I continued to throw lures at all the pylons, finally making my way to the middle of the Bridge, and I didn't get one stripper bite all night- same thing happened a couple of weeks ago (nice having the worms to get some pullage, even though it wasn't from a nice stripper)- started to peddle back at 9PM, water was very calm, near height of high tide, and I was flying back with little resistance on the water.

Lastly, as I made my way back, I saw a guy from afar approach the ramp - turned out to be DNR. Polite guy- I showed him my license that I thought I stored as a .pdf file on my phone, but it turned out that it was my old license that expired on 7/31/18- I couldn't find my new license, so he took my ID and was able to see that I did have a license- gave me a warning (no fee) for not having a license on me- he saw the perch I had in my box, and he checked all my compartments in the yellow yak- I was fine. FYI, the officer mentioned there is a DNR App that will allow you to retrieve your license that way- I'm going to check this out. Anyhow, I'm glad they're doing they're job- some other people came in after me on a boat, and it seemed like something was up with them, but I didn't have time to be a spectator so I just left.BB Cat.jpg
    Last edited by yellowyak; 09-15-2018, 01:00 PM.

Nice report. PSA, put a copy of your license in your PFD pocket and you will never be without it.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Sorry about the lack of fish, I have not been fishing in 2 months. I've replaced: my back kitchen Patio french door, My front door and it's sidelights, and started on my kitchen remodel. So, I've been productive. I'll trying to launch once or twice this fall, but this year has been a wash for me.

But, next year, all of my major remodeling projects should be done... Or so I hope.

Best Regards,
      Stan
      Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
      X