Unusual Catch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Catch

Was fishing for Stripers this morning in the Severn and Weems Creek, but they were not hungry or I wasn’t presentsting the correct food. Anyway, got tired of trolling in my Ultimate, and started throwing a spinner for White Perch-got a couple, nothing spectular. I was just above the Weems Creek Bridge when I landed a 6” Speckled Trout!
    2018-09-18 11.14.27.jpg

I didn’t think the salinity would be high enough, but it certainly proved me wrong. I released it and swam off.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Wow! Nice catch John. Can this season get any stranger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Another species caught in Weems Creek. Nice!

Comment

John - That is a memorable catch - Congratulations.

About a year ago, I posted that I had caught a spec in Weems Creek http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...highlight=spec. That prompted me to do a bit of homework. It turns out that three years in a row, I had caught just one spec in Weems during late Sept/early Oct. I am surprised that the spec was there today with the low salinity. I followed the non-scientific approach of dipping my finger into Weems Creek then touching my tongue. I tasted almost no salt today. Your fish today keeps that streak alive.

Let me add that the Severn has been very stingy with keeper-sized stripers this year. The late spring run never really materialized. For the past few years, in late Sept/early Oct, large amounts of bait have congregated in the back end of several of the larger Severn creeks. Stripers showed up to feast on the abundant bait. I have been watching for that situation to set up again this year. As recently as yesterday, the stripers are not there in enough numbers to seriously target them.

On a slightly better note, I caught "limits" of stripers both yesterday and today in the Severn while trolling paddletails. I chose not to keep the fish, but was happy to catch fish of keeper size. These fish were not caught in the creeks, but were in the main river. My catch numbers were low (6 yesterday and 3 today). Yesterday I caught 18", 20", and 22". Today I caught 18", 19", and 20". These fish are not brag-worthy, but given the lack of Severn keepers this year, they are a sign for hope that the bite is starting to improve.

I plan to spend many days on the Severn over the next month or so in the hopes that stripers will become abundant.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Neat catch. That's a healthy looking little speck. Thanks for the report and as always, I enjoy John's additional data from his trips.

Comment

John! Awesome catch! I need to get over to Weems, seems like you guys know that creek like the back of your hands...
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Nice! I caught a weakfish about that size in there last summer. Like others, I'm surprised to see that with the salinity so low. Have you all encountered any bluefish in the Severn this year?
              Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Very few
                John Rentch
                Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
                  Nice! I caught a weakfish about that size in there last summer. Like others, I'm surprised to see that with the salinity so low. Have you all encountered any bluefish in the Severn this year?
                  I have not caught any blues in the Severn yet this year. On Tues morning, I had a plastic tail bitten off near the mouth of Weems -- probably a bluefish action.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good to know, thanks. I may be in the minority, but I really enjoy catching bluefish. I hope they stick around for a few more weeks.
                    Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                      ...seems like you guys know that creek like the back of your hands...
                      I certainly do. It's a great body of water.

John R. -- Nice catch. You have a knack for finding specks in unexpected places.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Unusual Catch

Congratulations John- nice catch that far north-Caught two specks today, one was near legal-did not measure. Big Mike and I fished in some choppy water- Windfinder missed the forecast, but all is well that ends well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

They sure did miss it!
                          John Rentch
                          Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
                            Was fishing for Stripers this morning in the Severn and Weems Creek, but they were not hungry or I wasn’t presentsting the correct food. Anyway, got tired of trolling in my Ultimate, and started throwing a spinner for White Perch-got a couple, nothing spectular. I was just above the Weems Creek Bridge when I landed a 6” Speckled Trout!
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]24188[/ATTACH]

I didn’t think the salinity would be high enough, but it certainly proved me wrong. I released it and swam off.
                            With all the precipitation I can see that. Nice catch

Jackson Kraken 15.5
                            Lowrance Hook 2 5

Comment

Working...
                            X