Playing the Wind from the Downs Park Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing the Wind from the Downs Park Launch

John Veil and I launched from Downs Park into the Bodkin this morning. As predicted by Windfinder.com, a strong southern wind was evident when we got into the Bodkin’s main stem. However, a good thing about the Downs launch is that there are 4 main creeks accessible from the ramp as well as the Patapsco River and the Chesapeake Bay itself. Some of these waters run east to west and others run north to south. The result is that protected water is available regardless of the direction of the wind.

With that in mind, we headed to Back Creek which is an east/west creek in the chain. John hooked a small striper trolling in the Bodkin along the way. Our goal in Back Creek was pickerel. We split up with John cruising the north shore while I stayed on the southern shore. We fished about one half the length of the creek, targeting natural shorelines and docks. Both types of structure are abundant.

We caught no pickerel but we each hooked a dozen white perch and John got another small striper. My perch were not extraordinary. Most were 8 to 9 inches. I believe this was my largest:

P1040135.jpg

Today my green bucktail jig spinner got a lot of perch action. In fact, I also caught a yellow perch with it later in the day in another creek accessible from the launch:

P1040156.jpg

This was the third yellow perch I’ve caught launching from Downs this year.

After we departed Back Creek John headed back to the launch. I stayed out. I haven't been able to fish as much from my kayak as I would like recently so I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity. I crossed the Bodkin and headed to the Patapsco. You can see the wind was blowing the waves in the Bodkin toward the Patapsco:

P1040139.jpg

However, once I turned the corner of the Bodkin and headed south in the Patapsco, the shoreline to my right shielded the double-digit south wind. I had smooth sailing all the way to Bodkin Point which you can see straight ahead:

P1040142.jpg

Here's the point up close:

P1040147.jpg

Bodkin Point is an interesting spot. As you sit there, you can see the Key Bridge to the north and the Bay Bridge to the south. The Bay Bridge was pretty much fogged in. I could see its spires but not the roadbed. The Key Bridge, however, was visible:

P1040148.jpg

The point itself held fish today. I caught two channel cats, one 22 to 23 inches and another 20 inches within inches of the rocks. Here’s the largest:

P1040150.jpg

It hit a white 3-inch paddletail on a ΒΌ oz. jig.

I also picked up 5 stripers like this in the same spot. Again, each was tight to the rocks.

P1040154.jpg

They either hit the white paddletail or one of my jig spinners. The spinner in the photo above is one with a heavier gauge wire hook that I use when targeting stripers. The sturdier hook also comes in handy when a channel cat hits as a 20 incher did today.

But recall, my quest this morning was for pickerel. Unfortunately, I never caught one despite many casts. I returned from Bodkin Point to the protected waters of the creeks. I cast to high probability pickerel habitat like these areas:

P1040158.jpg P1040162.jpg

All I got for my efforts were more white perch. I finished with 32 in the boat and many more that came unbuttoned boat-side. As a sidebar, the perch today were routinely 10 to 20 feet from shore. I would cast tight to cover looking for pickerel, however my perch strikes would come well into my retrieve when my spinner was far from shore. Also, a slow retrieve worked best.

Despite my pickerel deficit today, I know they are there. Here’s anecdotal evidence:

I was fishing near a dock in Wharf Creek and the homeowner came out to check her crab trap that was tied to piling. The woman said to me, “If you’re not catching fish I know why.” “How come,” I responded. “Because they’re always in my crab trap – long green things with pointy noses. I think they’re pike,” she added. “That’s exactly what I’m trying to catch”, I said. “Well, there are plenty of them here,” she answered.

After that humbling experience, I called it day and headed back to the launch. All in all, it was not a bad outing. I haven’t been able to explore the waters of this launch as much as I’ve wanted to this year. But I think they hold much promise. What I like the most is the variety of habitat and species available. I can fish big water as I did near Bodkin Point or sheltered areas of the numerous creeks on the same trip. Catching 40 fish, even if most of them were white perch in 4 hours is pretty good. I encourage you to check out what the launch has to offer.

However, I need to retract a point I made here recently about Down Park. I last visited the Downs launch on September 11. During that visit the gatehouse attendant told me the information card was no longer required if you had been there before. This morning the policy changed again. In lieu of me filling out the card, the gatehouse attendant asked me the questions on it and competed it herself. I told her what the gatehouse attendee said on my last visit. She simply said he was wrong. They want to know who’s out and where. In their defense, I understand they “rescued” two kayakers last winter. So, Downs Park like Ft. Smallwood will indeed record your contact information upon entry.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Mark had much more stamina than me today, and it paid off for him. I finished with three small stripers and 15-20 perch. I'm glad he was able to find the catfish and a yellow perch.

That launch opens up a lot of water for kayaks. I have launched there twice and don't feel like I have even scratched the surface of the opportunities nearby.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice report Mark.

As always, very thorough and informative. I’m looking forward to launching out of Downs Park in the future. It sounds very promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -manny

Hobie Outback
      Wilderness Systems 130T
      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
        Nice report Mark.

As always, very thorough and informative. I’m looking forward to launching out of Downs Park in the future. It sounds very promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I appreciate your kind words. If you or any Snaggedliner would like an introductory tour, let me know. I've been in all the creeks there now. I know some productive areas. But there's still much water to explore.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by mike o View Post
            Thanks for the report. Sounds like a good day.
            It was and I was overdue.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Those who also prefer 'big water' can launch from the soft-launch which puts you directly into the Chesapeake Bay. I think the duality of its launches, open-water and protected coves, makes this an awesome destination for kayakers. Humbled to know its proximity to me is 'in my backyard'
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                Those who also prefer 'big water' can launch from the soft-launch which puts you directly into the Chesapeake Bay. I think the duality of its launches, open-water and protected coves, makes this an awesome destination for kayakers. Humbled to know its proximity to me is 'in my backyard'
                Michael,

That's true.

Both launches at the park are actually soft. The bayside launch is from the sandy beach that fronts the park. The Locust Cove launch is from a sandy ramp into Wharf Creek. Additionally, each launch is almost equidistant from Bodkin Point which is at the mouth of the Patapsco and the Bay. It's approximately 1.5 miles from the bayside launch to the point and about 1.7 miles to the point from Locust Cove launch. The difference is the that the Locust Cove launch offers a meandering "inside" route with access to multiple creeks. Protected water is available in most wind conditions in one or more of the creeks or the Patapsco itself when launching from Locust Cove. The bayside launch enters the Chesapeake at a location where the Bay is 10 miles wide. Winds and fetch can be problematic there. But you are instantly in big water if that is your liking.

For those interested in seeing the actual geography of the area, here is a Google Earth view of the waters available from Downs Park with the two launches indicated:

Capture.Downs launches.jpg
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Nice!!!
                  Do you make your own spinner lures?
                  2017 Hobie Outback - Camo
                  2014 Hobie Oasis - Olive

Comment

Originally posted by ST@TS View Post
                    Nice!!!
                    Do you make your own spinner lures?
                    Thank you.

Yes. I pour the jigs via Do-It molds, powder paint them and tie bucktail on some. Others I leave undressed for soft plastics. I add wire arms and blades in colors I find attractive.

Perch Catchers.jpg

I've yet to find a color combination that does not work.

HP1.jpg

I prefer size 3 Colorado blades.

Most are poured into the 1/8 oz. cavity of the Do-It molds. Fish larger than perch like stripers, channel cats and pickerel readily hit the 1/8 oz. spinners. However, sometimes I upsize to 1/4 oz. jigs to make spinners specifically for stripers.

Larger jig.jpg

The orange lure above is a 1/4 oz. version. The advantage of the larger spinner is twofold -- a heavier hook and more weight for a longer cast.

They do wear out, often after 100 catches, sometimes fewer. A few nicks in the paint and rust happens. Here's one fairly well worn but still working:

P1040181.jpg

But sometimes they have to be retired or redressed:

P1040160.jpg
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Excellent!
                      Any books or links to videos you would recommend for making lures?
                      2014 Hobie Oasis - Olive

Comment

I started tying flies and still do that.

There I learned how to wrap thread around a hook and to whip finish it so that it doesn't come untied. I learned how to layer materials on the hook.

The key with jigs is to learn how to tie a bucktail. There's a technique to evenly encircling the jig with the bucktail. I kind of figured it out on my own based on my fly tying experience. Then I confirmed it by using Google to find bucktail tying videos. Similarly, there are videos on powder painting. YouTube is a good source for "how to" tying videos.

Mostly, I learned by doing.

A couple of tools are necessary: A vise to hold the jig, a bobbin and thread, scissors to cut the thread and trim the bucktail, and some use a whip finisher. I forego that and use my fingers. I can finish that process faster with my fingers than picking up the whip finish tool.

Split ring pliers are helpful for attaching the spinner blade to the wire arm.

For powder painting you need a source of heat to heat the jig before dipping it into the powder paint. I use a heat gun for that.

But basic fly tying skills are foremost. So I'll make a shameless plug for the Free State Fly Fishers who offer many fly tying sessions throughout the year at their Davidsonville clubhouse. There experienced tiers will gladly help you with basic to advanced fly tying skills.

http://fs-ff.com/index.php/calendar/10-06-18-fly-tying/
                        Last edited by Mark; 09-27-2018, 12:20 PM.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Mark,
                          Thanks for the great info on the Downs' Park launches, and pointing out its many wind protections. I've never launched there, but followed along your description in Google Maps and it looks like, as you said, a virtual "launch for all winds!". Also very cool about that channel cat hitting a 3" white paddletail. I don't recall ever catching a catfish on a lure, but I've certainly heard of many who have. I hope to give Downs a try as the great Fall fishing season approaches.

Gary G
                          Gary G

13' Hobie Revolution

Comment

Mark's post title talks about playing the wind. That can make a big difference in how hard you need to work to get where you want to go. This morning John Rentch and I trolled in the mid-Severn. The wind was blowing pretty hard from the NE (directly in our faces as we came out of Weems Cr). We paddled across to the far shoreline where we were in the wind shadow. We had a leisurely paddle upstream quite a ways (in fact, I went farther upstream than I have ever done in my kayak, in part because the water was so calm on that side.)

When we had gone as far upstream as we chose, we crossed over to the Annapolis/Crownsville shoreline with the wind at our backs. As we trolled back downstream, the wind was coming from a rear quarter angle and did not cause us to work hard.

It pays to study a wind forecast (with the acknowledgement that they often can be wrong) before heading out. You can learn speed, direction, and how those might change during the hours you are out there. Use that knowledge to plan your route for the day. I routinely look at windfinder.com. I sometimes look at a second site https://darksky.net, which allows you to dial in the forecast for a specific address.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                              I started tying flies and still do that.

There I learned how to wrap thread around a hook and to whip finish it so that it doesn't come untied. I learned how to layer materials on the hook.

The key with jigs is to learn how to tie a bucktail. There's a technique to evenly encircling the jig with the bucktail. I kind of figured it out on my own based on my fly tying experience. Then I confirmed it by using Google to find bucktail tying videos. Similarly, there are videos on powder painting. YouTube is a good source for "how to" tying videos.

Mostly, I learned by doing.

A couple of tools are necessary: A vise to hold the jig, a bobbin and thread, scissors to cut the thread and trim the bucktail, and some use a whip finisher. I forego that and use my fingers. I can finish that process faster with my fingers than picking up the whip finish tool.

Split ring pliers are helpful for attaching the spinner blade to the wire arm.

For powder painting you need a source of heat to heat the jig before dipping it into the powder paint. I use a heat gun for that.

But basic fly tying skills are foremost. So I'll make a shameless plug for the Free State Fly Fishers who offer many fly tying sessions throughout the year at their Davidsonville clubhouse. There experienced tiers will gladly help you with basic to advanced fly tying skills.

http://fs-ff.com/index.php/calendar/10-06-18-fly-tying/
                              Thank you for the info.
                              2014 Hobie Oasis - Olive

Comment

Working...
                              X