Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Trailer Question

Hello Everyone,

Just had a very quick question for the Forum. I bought a Hobie Outback a couple of months ago without realizing that the new Outback was going to be released and much improved. I'm thinking of buying the new Outback as well but had a question on a kayak trailer. Due to the weight/ odd size of my current Outback, it was a lot harder than I thought to put the Outback on top of my SUV (youtube made it look easy prior to my purchase) so I've just been sticking the yak inside my SUV with the tailgate partially closed.

Now that I'm thinking of getting another Outback (for friends/ family to use), I definitely want to get a trailer. I'm pretty sure I want to go with the Malone Microsport Trailer with the 78 inch crossbars. My question is do I really need kayak cradles for both yaks? I was hoping to just lay down the two Outbacks directly on the 78 inch crossbars (with pool noodle padding) upside down with ties. I asked Malone, and they said to ask Hobie Kayak. I would think this would be okay, but when I search the internet, I've not seen anyone put their kayaks down directly on the crossbar.

I know there probably has been a million questions on trailers but was just looking for a quick answer to this specific question.

As always, thanks for your input. By the way, I'm thinking about going back to Solomons this weekend to see if I can catch that stripper that got away- will post report if I go.

Thanksimage_zps4d32093e.jpgimage_zps4d32093e.jpg
    Last edited by yellowyak; 09-29-2018, 10:05 AM. Reason: + Photo

You Definitely need something to pad the hulls as you bounce down the road. Bunks/ 2X4's covered in carpet, or big PVC pipes. This also aids in loading and unloading. You really want to protect those hulls, they can get permanent dents in them and crack if not properly padded while being tied down.

Check youtube for some designs. I have a PA-12 on a trailer, using the carpeted bunks, with no issues.

Yak67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo

Comment

You may take a look at Trailex multi kayak trailers.

Comment

I'd suggest looking at Trailex too. Sold threw Castle Craft. I bought one to transport my 16' canoe. It was sold to transport a kayak on flexible bunks. But since canoes are carried upside down I fasten a 2"X4" over each of the 2 sets of flexing bunker to hold my canoe upside down. Works great. Trailex are sold as kits that you must assemble. It almost completely disassembled for shipping. Directions for assembling are well written.

Canoe on Trailer.jpg
        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Remember that a lot of the launch sites....Jonas green, Beverly triton, and probably others are car top only sites that don’t allow trailers. There are definitely options to use a trailer at other places though.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I ended up getting the Malone XtraLight and will definitely put some padding around the bars, or make some kind of design to protect the kayak better. In regards to the bay, I haven't launched out of anywhere besides Sandy Point State Park, and if I do end up trying another park that doesn't allow trailers, then I'll probably just keep throwing the yak inside my suv as that's much easier than trying to put the yak on the roof. I definitely need to start looking at some other parks to try some new fishing areas, but I like Sandy Point (outside of the turbid, and sometimes slimy water) because it's open 24 hours and only 40-minutes away from my house. Again, I appreciate all the advice and am looking forward to easier transport of the yak.

Comment

Working...
            X