Saturday Morning Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Morning Fishing

I am hitting the Severn this weekend and plan to launch from Sherwood forest (weather depending, it looks good though). Aiming to be on the water by 6:45. Going to fish some top water spooks around surface structure, that has been working well recently. Then I am going to go across the river to fish one of the government oyster beds with some jigs and/or paddle-tails. Any word on hot colors/techniques? TIA- Carson
    Annapolis
    2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
    Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

In general, fishing in the Severn has been disappointing this year. This week has not been any different. This morning I trolled both shorelines of the river from Weems Creek to Chase Creek and back. I caught 5 stripers of 10"-12" (and four of those were in one compact area). Normally there would be more fish and larger fish around. I checked earlier in the week on the typical early fall bite in the back end of the larger Severn creeks. I found nothing happening, and my fishing buddy had the same experience this morning. We did find perch at several spots today, but nothing huge. While casting for perch, I caught my smallest striper of the year (about 4" long).

I know of a guy who found a few keeper-sized stripers in the upper section of the river throwing topwater a few days ago. I know where he launches his boat but do not know where he was fishing. Few Snaggedline anglers have access to the Sherwood Forest section of the river or areas farther upstream. I cannot comment on the bite in those areas, but can say the general area from Rt 450 upstream toward Round Bay has been really slow.

I hope you find good fishing and can report back for the rest of us.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thank you, John. I will let you know what happens.
      Annapolis
      2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
      Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

A nice report with some keeper sized pullage will re-invigorate this web board, best of luck! Tight lines!
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
        X