Anybody use big baits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody use big baits?

So if been buying all kinds of swim baits and buck taiks and was about to buy some top water baits. I held off to see what you guys think before i buy some. I have a lot i mean a lot of surf casting plugs. Lots and lots of poppers and so minnows and bombers. Would this stuff work in the cheasapeak or are the baits to big? My talkin pipers and pencils are 6 to 7 inches

They may work. I personally use something in the 4-5” range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Your larger baits may work. But I can tell you that smaller baits work fine for the stripers I target in shallow tidal waters.

These are the only three styles of topwater I use for stripers:

Top Water (2).jpg

They're actually intended for largemouth bass, I believe.

Admittedly, I'm not catching huge fish. The largest striper I have caught with these baits was 29 inches a few years ago with the popper in the middle. The smallest (3rd) popper produced a 25 inch fish this year. Surprisingly, the largest (1st) has produced most of my smaller 16 to 20 inch topwater stripers.

Sometimes I think stripers have less trouble hooking up with smaller surface lures.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks might just buy some heddion spooks and pop Rd and call it a day thanks. Ill keep the big boys for the surf. Never got a striper top water bite so im pretty excited. Starting next weekend ill be down every weekend untik the bite dies for the winter. Addicting it is

Comment

Originally posted by Fishguts430 View Post
          Thanks might just buy some heddion spooks and pop Rd and call it a day thanks. Ill keep the big boys for the surf. Never got a striper top water bite so im pretty excited. Starting next weekend ill be down every weekend untik the bite dies for the winter. Addicting it is
          Spooks and Pop Rs are good choices.

Look for riprap. Cast tight to it and work the popper out. Or better yet, if you can position your boat accordingly, cast parallel to the riprap and work the topwater bait so it covers lots of water close to the rocks.

Also, look for any structures standing alone in the water that breaks current like this, especially on a point:

P1040164.jpg

Cast tight to it or cast past it and work the topwater lure near the edges of structure.

If stripers are present, you'll know soon enough.

Good luck,
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The Saltwater Super Spook is my go-to topwater lure and I've caught everything from 30"+ stripers to exceptionally hungry 10" perch on it.

Comment

My favorite topwater lure is the Mirrolure Poppa Mullet. I have a few spare ones that I offered for sale at http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...topwater-plugs. I thought I had them sold, but the deal fell through. If interested, send me a pmail. They do work on stripers as well as gamefish in Florida.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I've caught a 25" fish on a rapala magnum 20, so larger baits do work. I've also seen some guys throw large whopper ploppers with some success also. Typically most of the baits I troll are 4-6" but truth be told I have very little topwater striper experience (hoping to try that more in the fall)

Comment

I would highly recommend Stillwater Smack-it Jr (and Sr's) - I have caught a lot of stripers using these poppers; to the point that it is almost all I use now for topwater. I just came back from Martha's Vineyard and caught fish from 20" to 38" using the "Jr" version.
                  Not sure how to post pics yet - but the blue/white version is my favorite.

Comment

I... Like... Big... BAITS AND I CANNOT LIE...

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

In the late fall and spring trophy season I upscale my baits to five and six inch baits...my Xrap is the XR12 and 14...Stretch 27s...right now most of my baits are the 3 and 4 inch soft plastics...my top water poppers are the medium size 5 inch size...
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

While not necessarily for Stripers, I do have a few big baits collecting dust in my basement. Whoever wants them, I'll do $80 for all!

20180925_182911.jpg
                        20180925_182933.jpg
                        20180925_182948.jpg
                        20180925_183206.jpg
                        20180925_183212.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X