Wicomico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wicomico

Heading out there in about 20 minutes. My buddy is a triathlete and routinely does his swim there...I'm not sure where we are going, but he knows I yak quite a bit and asked me to go along as his spotter. I've searched a couple of threads here, and I have apparently been missing out this entire time....looking forward to broaden my database of fishing areas close by...I'm taking some gear...but the main focus is watching over him...but next time....I've been hitting Mattawoman all summer...slow for me, but I did manage a new PB on LM and my first snakehead.
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Nice area...my Sister lives on Neal Sound behind Cobb Island...good fishing...lots of spot bottom bouncing being caught around the area, especially at Cornfield Harbor...yesterday, Yak67, Big Mike and I hit St. Inigoes at daylight only to be chased off the water with the gusting winds...Mike had a cable fail on his Mirage Drive, but luckily was near the launch headed in...Gary carried home a nice mess of big white perch...we all caught a few fish before throwing in the towel, but September has had some wicked weather that screws up fishing...maybe October will finally give us a break...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
      Nice area...my Sister lives on Neal Sound behind Cobb Island...good fishing...lots of spot bottom bouncing being caught around the area, especially at Cornfield Harbor...yesterday, Yak67, Big Mike and I hit St. Inigoes at daylight only to be chased off the water with the gusting winds...Mike had a cable fail on his Mirage Drive, but luckily was near the launch headed in...Gary carried home a nice mess of big white perch...we all caught a few fish before throwing in the towel, but September has had some wicked weather that screws up fishing...maybe October will finally give us a break...
      Thanks Ron....on my first cast when we got back to shore I hooked a small perch....after that, nothing...I was using a rather large spinner though. Saw an older guy tossing a small spinner and catching bait for crabs....he said the small feeder creek to the right holds bigger fish when the tide is in....have to go back and check it out.
      Hobie Outback
      Stand Up Paddle Board
      Pelican 100

Comment

Did you launch at Quades Store?
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
          Did you launch at Quades Store?
          Wicomico shores landing
          Hobie Outback
          Stand Up Paddle Board
          Pelican 100

Comment

A few years back I fished out of wicomico shores somewhat frequently on a small boat. The marshy areas around where the river narrows hold an incredible amount of perch. Even a few small reds when they were more prolific. The deep hole at the mouth of the narrows holds a fair amount of cats and croaker. Some large blue cats prowl both the shallows and in the hole that will really test your tackle. I enjoyed fishing that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ShaunGT View Post
              A few years back I fished out of wicomico shores somewhat frequently on a small boat. The marshy areas around where the river narrows hold an incredible amount of perch. Even a few small reds when they were more prolific. The deep hole at the mouth of the narrows holds a fair amount of cats and croaker. Some large blue cats prowl both the shallows and in the hole that will really test your tackle. I enjoyed fishing that area.

Screenshot_20181002-113238.jpg

North or South of the pin in the river for any holes? I have a FF on my yak...but with a little direction I will save a little time...i love catching big blue cats from the yak...
              Hobie Outback
              Stand Up Paddle Board
              Pelican 100

Comment

You’ll have to excuse my poor handwriting. North. It would be a long paddle though. The hole is the left circle at the mouth of the headwaters. The right circle is a long area of shoreline that produced perch. The incoming was best for perch in my experience

Comment

Thank you....
                  Hobie Outback
                  Stand Up Paddle Board
                  Pelican 100

Comment

Sorry for the multi picture post and how blurry they turned out. We always used beetle spins and had good success in the marsh grass. Wherever grass would meet a piling of some type you knew you were on a good spot. Never caught any true jumbo perch but lots of 9 and 10” fish. Plenty of eater sized catfish mixed in. Every once in awhile you would hook one that would tow you around and break your line.

The crabbing is good there too if you are into that.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaunGT View Post
                      Sorry for the multi picture post and how blurry they turned out. We always used beetle spins and had good success in the marsh grass. Wherever grass would meet a piling of some type you knew you were on a good spot. Never caught any true jumbo perch but lots of 9 and 10” fish. Plenty of eater sized catfish mixed in. Every once in awhile you would hook one that would tow you around and break your line.

The crabbing is good there too if you are into that.

No worries on the quality of the pics...I was able to see the areas....the paddle distance isn't a issue. I also have a 14 aluminum flat bottom boat that would be great for that area. Sadly, the yak has the fish finder on it. That is something I need to remedy soon so I can fish longer into the season. If I have to bundle up too much on the yak, it becomes a pain and isn't as fun. I saw quite a few guys running crab lines last week...they weren't doing so well...but that is part for the course..ive only caught croaker once, and that was on a snagged line outting at point lookout...It is about time I learn to Target some salty/brackish species.
                      Hobie Outback
                      Stand Up Paddle Board
                      Pelican 100

Comment

We sometimes launch from Bushwood Wharf and fish the area near St. Catherine’s Island channel...Kevin Fry claims it is loaded wall to wall with catfish, but the entire area is good catfishing...I have found some monster bluecats right by the Harry Nice bridge out of Aqualand and over by the hot ditch coming out of the Morgantown Generating plant...big chunk of cut menhaden on an 8/0 circle hook shelled on 80# mono on a fish finder rig is the ticket...and I prefer a low profile baitcaster on medium heavy rod for catfishing...30# braid mainline is what I use but some of my buddies use 50#...
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Another close spot that I have never tried...this is the year! I typically run 30 pound mono with a 60 pound leader. It hasn't let me down yet...with the drag set and then the "extra" drag of the yak...I've had some puckering moments when they slam a rod in the rod holders...love those moments...I routinely hit Chapel Point a few seasons back...but after some commercial guys targeted it hard, it kind of dried up...one thing for sure there isn't a lack of water this year.
                          Hobie Outback
                          Stand Up Paddle Board
                          Pelican 100

Comment

Originally posted by clm View Post
                            No worries on the quality of the pics...I was able to see the areas....the paddle distance isn't a issue. I also have a 14 aluminum flat bottom boat that would be great for that area. Sadly, the yak has the fish finder on it. That is something I need to remedy soon so I can fish longer into the season. If I have to bundle up too much on the yak, it becomes a pain and isn't as fun. I saw quite a few guys running crab lines last week...they weren't doing so well...but that is part for the course..ive only caught croaker once, and that was on a snagged line outting at point lookout...It is about time I learn to Target some salty/brackish species.
                            Hit it up yesterday morning...it was quite the paddle/pedal...about 7 and half miles...the wind was at my back on the return trip, but still had quite the burn going. I found the holes where the depth dropped to 18/20 feet. Marked some fish, caught one catfish. Lots of what I think were perch on the FF too...but I wasnt set up to Target them as I was flipping some light spinning gear. I will go back, but with my Jon boat. By the time I got there, my excitement had waned....good exercise though.
                            IMG_20181018_070056706.jpg
                            Last edited by clm; 10-18-2018, 06:18 PM.
                            Hobie Outback
                            Stand Up Paddle Board
                            Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
                            X