Saturday Morning Fishing: Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Morning Fishing: Report

I was on the water at 6:30, and fished for three hours. I spent the first hour casting top-water spooks and poppers at the rock piles and jetties on the Severn... nothing. After a slight accident involving a gear tie and my perch rod, I am in the market for a new ultralight. I trolled and did some jigging for the remainder of the time, and caught nothing on the jigs. I was trolling some ridges pretty far downriver and found one little 17" rock fish on a bagley balsa crank-bait that dives to about 6 feet. It was a fairly disappointing morning, but any time that you can get out and fish is a Win-Win. Any good perch rod recommendations?
    Annapolis
    2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
    Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

First, thanks for validating my decision to stay home Saturday morning despite the beautiful weather. Second, this season I've been using a 4 1/2' Shakespeare ultra light spinning rod for perch and really enjoy it. It's got great action for perch and with mono can toss a #2 MEPPS a good enough distance for me and in tight quarters. Wrong rod to have if a large catfish or striper takes a hit at it, but otherwise I really like the short length and light action in my kayak. It's also much easier to reach the tip when I need to clear a tangle or whatever.

Comment

I trolled Church Creek and the South River Saturday all the way to the bay. I was using from 3/8 to 1 ounce jigheads with Z-Man Opening Night paddle tails. Managed only two 17 inch stripers in close to 14 miles on the water. It was however the most fun I've ever had not catching fish as I entered The Hobie Life with a new Compass that I picked up Friday night. I'd love to have that 2019 Outback with all those features, but the Compass at 68 pounds being all I really need, and leftover boat prices, I couldn't be happier.
      Last edited by LivinTheDream; 10-01-2018, 02:41 PM.
      Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
      2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Comment

Originally posted by CarsonNash View Post
        I was on the water at 6:30, and fished for three hours. I spent the first hour casting top-water spooks and poppers at the rock piles and jetties on the Severn... nothing. After a slight accident involving a gear tie and my perch rod, I am in the market for a new ultralight. I trolled and did some jigging for the remainder of the time, and caught nothing on the jigs. I was trolling some ridges pretty far downriver and found one little 17" rock fish on a bagley balsa crank-bait that dives to about 6 feet. It was a fairly disappointing morning, but any time that you can get out and fish is a Win-Win. Any good perch rod recommendations?
        I use a Crappie Max 6' ultralight rod with a Pfueger President 6920 reel spooled with 8 # braid when I am in the yak. This combo is great for casting to rip rap and shorelines.
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations, I will look into them.
          Annapolis
          2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
          Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Working...
          X