Epic slower lower day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic slower lower day

Had one of those days you dream about to tide you over the winter. Launched at daybreak and soon spotted birds working . For the next 2 hours it was top water heaven with more 17-18” strippers than I could count. Did land a 19” but threw it back thinking I’ll get bigger. In the mix were bluefish running 13” to 17”. I kept a 13 for lunch. I thought a had keeper rocks twice but just those big nasty blues. After a couple hours the sun got high enough and tide low enough that they went deeper. Trolled up a few more stripers but was getting bit off just as frequently.

As the tide went slack a switched to bottom bouncing Gulp for flounder. 1/8 oz plain jig head with chartreuse 3” swimming minnow Gulp. Got 7 flounder over 14”, including two 15 1/2” and this nice 17” keeper. Lost another this size boat side. A real blast on my perch rod.

Puking up silversides left and right. Had to hose out my boat because it stank like a frat house basement Sunday morning.

Don’t know if I’ll have a day like this again this year, but I hope so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Wow Mike. That’s the kind of day you dream of. I hope it bodes well for the rest of us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Great work Mike. That was a memorable trip. Even though it was hot on the water today, the fish are thinking about the upcoming winter and are hitting the feedbag.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Reports like yours Mike are long overdue due here.

Congratulations and continued success!
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Flounder have been this year's best kept secret. Glad to see you got to bring one home. Hopefully they decide to come back again next year.

Comment

When I hear "Slower Lower" I think Delaware...is that SoMD slang I don't know about? lol
            2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Nice report! I was thinking about going out today and am definitely regretting it. Hopefully I'll have time next week and the fish will be there.
              Tight lines
              Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
              Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
              Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
              Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by WeCallEmRockfish View Post
                  When I hear "Slower Lower" I think Delaware...is that SoMD slang I don't know about? lol
                  Yeah, we sometimes call St Mary’s county the slower lower. Generally I’ll give a location, but the spot I found these fish in is pretty small. The flounder for example came from a 25 yard by 50 yard box. So slower lower is about as specific as I’ll get in this case.
                  Mike
                  Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Plus one, buddy...glad you got into them...
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                    X